_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Shermans, Mix & Matched Bogeys & Roadwheels?
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 06:37 PM UTC
What would be most authentic, If I'm building an M4A3 or M10/M36 for the variety of different road wheels?

Was it more common for a vehicle to have the same wheel types on every bogey or could you have had a vehicle with multiple Bogeys with mismatched road wheels?

Finally, would it be unrealistic to have up to 3 different type wheels on one tank?

I'm building an M36B1 and want to mix the wheels up but don't want to overdo it.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 08:36 PM UTC
You can do some mixing and matching, but remember that the M36B1 was only in service for about seven months. Road wheel wear was highest on leading and trailing wheels, and mine damage was also most common on forward wheel stations.

On the other hand, 7th Army M4 and M4A1 tanks that started in North Africa, then Italy, then France, could have much more mixing and matching.
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 09:12 PM UTC
Thanks for that input. I didn't know they wore at different rates. Good to know!
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 24, 2015 - 09:41 PM UTC
Your M36B1 probably left the factory with the pressed "solid-spoke" roadwheels. If it needed replacements, chances are these were either more "solid-spoke" wheels, or the later "dished" roadwheel. Earlier "open spoke" wheels might still be around (any wheel is better than none during field repairs!) but these were getting rarer in the supply chain as the later types took over. Still, as Gerald says, it all depends on how hard the mileage was...
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 7,219 posts
Armorama: 6,097 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 12:00 AM UTC
Did someone say M36? I'm telling you, I'm dangerous with a camera.

Here you can see the two different style road wheels:

And here, for some reason, are two different styles of return roller supports on the same vehicle:

JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Posted: Thursday, June 25, 2015 - 02:53 AM UTC
Thanks for all the great info guys!

Can't wait to get home and put the suspension together! I have one broken bogey that came in the kit so I'll use one of the old style bogeys that came with the kit as a substitute. Think my M36 is going to have struck a mine and field repaired!
 _GOTOTOP