Hosted by Darren Baker
Help with modeling a Syrian T -72 .
jekrott
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 485 posts
Armorama: 353 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 07:28 PM UTC
Would trumpeters T-72b/b1 with era be acceptable as a starting point?looking at photos it looks to me that would work,but not knowing much on t72 and all the little different tweeks they have done I'm only guessing.But that look is what I'm after.Would love help with what barrel I should look for,and tracks.Pe would be last.I have some photos I've seen on Google
that I will be using as my motivation.That's for all feedback
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:08 PM UTC
You can use it with some -important- additional work, but the main thing to consider is that since Syria does not own nor deployed a single "B" version T-72, you'll must replace the turret with an aftermarket one, either for an "A" or for a "M1" ones...
And to check references to get the glacis details properly for the version/vehicle you decide to build.

There are a few treads and posts here in Armorama and in other modelling sites about how to build a syrian T'72, excellent references and info there. Just google for them...
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 08:23 PM UTC
I can't help but wonder... is Trumpeter missing this opportunity to do a kit so many modelers ask about on all the forums and FB.. or do they intentionally not want to do a Syrian M1?

Hisham
jekrott
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:42 PM UTC
So to start miniarms t72 available turret with the era blocks.Can I use the trumpeter hull and road wheels?
jekrott
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 09:46 PM UTC
Miniarm t72 av turret
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 27, 2015 - 10:13 PM UTC
Would this turret and the Tamiya hull make a reasonable basic Syrian tank (without the ERA of course)?

Miniarm T-71 M1975 turret

Or this one from SBS

SBS T-72 Turret

Hisham
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Sunday, June 28, 2015 - 12:27 AM UTC
Miniarm T-72AV is really difficult -not to say almost impossible-to find nowadays...
The other "Ural" turrets are suitable since Syria still uses this version, some of them being upgraded with the Galileo's TURMS-T sight system. And as I said before, check the appropiate layout of the hull glacis.
You can also check SBS Models turrets, they are quite good, and offer the "Ural", the "M" and the "M1" ones.
You just have to find a good photo reference and choice one particular vehicle to reproduce -this is always the best way-.
jekrott
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 05:26 AM UTC
So I was able to track down the miniarm t72a/av turret along with the era tiles and some other things,I went with the trumpeter t72 1989.Now trying to find what details I will need to add and take off the glacis.So if anyone has any input I would love to hear from you.
jphillips
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 1,066 posts
Armorama: 789 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 05:40 AM UTC
I too have been waiting patiently for that Syrian AV. I can't imagine why Trumpeter would decline to kit such a well-known version. Maybe they're doing the less popular ones now, and saving the AV to be their piece de resistance. I've noticed that companies sometimes release obscure or less sought after versions of vehicles before they do the one modelers are clamoring for.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 06:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I too have been waiting patiently for that Syrian AV. I can't imagine why Trumpeter would decline to kit such a well-known version. Maybe they're doing the less popular ones now, and saving the AV to be their piece de resistance. I've noticed that companies sometimes release obscure or less sought after versions of vehicles before they do the one modelers are clamoring for.

And they are stretching the use of their "B" base kit as far as possible, they just announced another T-72B, this time the "Super Dolly Parton" one...
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 06:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So I was able to track down the miniarm t72a/av turret along with the era tiles and some other things,I went with the trumpeter t72 1989.Now trying to find what details I will need to add and take off the glacis.So if anyone has any input I would love to hear from you.

Just use the search utility here in this very site, there are some very useful and comprehensive build logs of syrian T-72's...
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hi;

IMHO I dont think you need A special kit for A Syrian T-72, I have counted Three Basic Versions of T-72s. And the way the Syrians are adding different items all over there T-72s its very Diffacult to Ident A Specific version. The past Blogs that were on Armorama gave very nice Build options on the T-72s in Syria, and as for Turrets are concerend even the Ural turret can be seen, and there are different AM turrets that you could use. ie;) SBS,Miniarm,Blast, etc. As for A Specific Vehicle it would be near Impossable to copy as there are no Walk-A-Rounds for A specific T-72, and as far as Accuracy goes, Who Can Say What Is Accurate. If you can go on U-Tube and can say Now that Is Accurate ! Then you are Better than Me. Tamiya,Trumpeter,both can be Built to model A Syrian T-72.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Removed by original poster on 07/01/15 - 03:42:49 (GMT).
RuloMxy
Visit this Community
District of Columbia, United States
KitMaker: 154 posts
Armorama: 137 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 08:43 AM UTC
I agree with picking a version of a Syrian T-72 and going for it. Not only Syria bought their T-72s in three/four batches, but they have modified a lot of them (e.g. Turms). Please find attached a link with a little bit of the history of these modifications and some photos of the Syrian T-72s

https://www.bellingcat.com/news/mena/2014/12/14/1813/

Good luck with your build!
Grindcore
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 389 posts
Armorama: 358 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 30, 2015 - 06:34 PM UTC

Here's a great thread on doing a Syrian T-72.

=http://armorama.com/forums/211537&page=1

I picked up the Miniarm T-72 A/AV turret from HobbyEasy, out of stock now, a new front hull from SP designs and some Voyager and miniarm ERA blocks.
jekrott
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 02:21 AM UTC
That's where I ordered my pieces from the other night!Now just have to wait for them to arrive.Hoping I ordered everything I may need,only time will tell.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 07:49 AM UTC
Hi;

Now the one to try to build is the URAL with the TURMS Turret, and with all that Bar Armor. Man that would be A Labor of Pain and A Great way to Practice your Scratch building. NAH not ME ! Thats way Over My Head !!!!

CHEERS; MIKE.
jekrott
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 11:16 PM UTC
Been thinking about the color scheme I would go with,i like the idea of a badley beaten up hulk sand yellow.But would love to try life color paints any ideas about colors from their line
 _GOTOTOP