_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Techniques
Diorama techniques and related subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
How to make vines all walls.
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 06:54 PM UTC
hi all, i thought about making this idea as an article , but i dont have any pics. so i am going to post forum on it.

supplies needed for this:

1. white glue ( pva wood glue).
2.water.
3.rang of herbs ( parsley, oregano, etc.)

optional.

1.airbrush
2. paints.

step 1. mix glue into container of water with the ratio of 2:1
apply glue/water mixture to wall using small paint brush to desired effect.
hold the wall or object horizontal as the mixture may run off.

step 2. apply herbs until the mixture is completly covered.
its up to you how you want your vine, you can either mix different kinds of herbs together or you can have only one kind of herb.
allow to dry for 20 minutes, dpending on how long it takes for the glue mixture to dry.

step3.using the airbrush you can paint the herbs your desired colour or you can simply leave it the natural colour of the herbs.

in my case i have only used one type of herb ( parsley) and i left it its naturla colour. and results are 100 % acurate . i will have pics eventually.

hope this helps, if you want any more information , please give me a pm and i will reply as soon as i get it.

matt
Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:15 PM UTC
Great Job! I utilize the same basic technique, but I use straight white glue (not diluted with water).

Most the time I draw the “vines” directly onto the wall straight from the bottle. I find the thick consistency grabs a hold of the leaves" better and any slightly ridge that is formed by the glue makes a great vine once it is dry-brushed.

John
www.johnneill.com
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 07:24 PM UTC
I've seen PE vines and they look really nice... every leaf could be bent individualy, painted and weathered, so if you want a bit more expensive solution...

Mario M.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Monday, January 19, 2004 - 11:56 PM UTC
Great tip! Thanks! I saw an article in both model railroading scenery and Woodland Scenics, where you "paint" on the glue, or thinned matte medium, then put your leaf material on a piece of paper with a crease down the middle and blow down towards the leaf material. They call this "fly-specking". You can get leaf material, grass, dirt, etc. applied to verticle surfaces this way.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
jackhammer81
Visit this Community
Nebraska, United States
KitMaker: 2,394 posts
Armorama: 1,695 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:06 AM UTC
Great tip, thanks. Does any one have any insight into making vines on a wall in late fall or winter when the vines would be in there dormant stage? Kevin
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 5,762 posts
Armorama: 2,283 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:24 AM UTC
Great tip! I'll use that!
MATTTOMLIN
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 431 posts
Armorama: 388 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 12:34 AM UTC
hi, its great to see everyone appreciating and making use of my tip.

sorry jackhammer, i am not sure what to do in your case,, try asking some of the more qulified modelors here.

matt

Neill
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,255 posts
Armorama: 485 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 04:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does any one have any insight into making vines on a wall in late fall or winter when the vines would be in there dormant stage? Kevin

I have always used a combination of dried natural roots and fine wire. Try to get hold off the roots of an old rose bush or small shrubbery --- (watching out for the Knight who say "Kneeeee", of course!). The fine tendrils of these make great bases for your vines in all seasons.

I cut out what I need, white glue it to the base and then at fine wire or ribbons of white glue to finish it. Paint and dry brush... INSTANT VINE....

Or semi instant vine anyway!

John

www.johnneill.com
Marty
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,312 posts
Armorama: 1,054 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 06:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Does any one have any insight into making vines on a wall in late fall or winter when the vines would be in there dormant stage?

You could also try rolling thin rolls of putty and attaching that to the wall. You could make some of it stick out to give some depth.
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 01:24 PM UTC
Thats a great uidea how did u come up with that? cheers
 _GOTOTOP