_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
When did German start using Oxide Red premier
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 10:09 AM UTC
As title, I would like to ask when exactly did the Germany officially use Oxide Red Premier for their AFV? and what type of premiers were used beforehand? Thank you!
dommy20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 01:12 PM UTC
The German use of red oxide primer predates WW2 and was part of their normal industrial process.

From what I understand, pretty much any equipment built in Germany was given a red oxide primer coat, that's just how it was. I am unaware that any other material was used.

If something was used, it was probably long before modern industrialization and outside the purview of our hobby.
Paulinsibculo
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,322 posts
Armorama: 1,239 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 01:29 PM UTC
It has been used from the beginning of the industrialisation. It is called led primer and its color comes from Pb3O4. It was/is used as a base before applying the final color. Due to a lack of base material in the paint industry large amounts of equipment in Germany at the end of the war did not get their final coating. Thus turning up with the basic protection.
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 05, 2015 - 05:24 AM UTC
Thank you for your guys comments, so does that mean a Panzer I produced at the outbreak of WW2 also had a Oxide Red Premier? Thank you!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 01:09 AM UTC
Yes.
 _GOTOTOP