_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Ammo of Mig vs AK
SPRWITTMANN
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 06:11 PM UTC
Hello All, just looking for feedback / pros & cons from those that have used either Ammo of Mig and AK interactive. Any special tricks to get the best from either? Thanks in advance.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 07:27 PM UTC
From what I've seen they seem to be the same equivalent product wise, though AK has been putting quite a lot of focus on planes, figures whilst Mig has been mainly Armour focussed so it comes down to what kind of subjects you like to model.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 07:49 PM UTC
I am afraid this is not correct... Both started (AK was first) with mainly armor products and afterwards have added specific ones for other modelling fields.

Currently they offer a wide range of paints, pigments, washes, etc. Which are similar but not equal. And they use different producers.

As for the original question, I cannot help that much... I still stock my vallejos and until I finnish them I will not look for replacements. My only experience is with ammo primer and works excellent without thinner.
brekinapez
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 2,272 posts
Armorama: 1,860 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 08:33 PM UTC
Like Carlos I still have tons of other brand paints to finish before I can start buying new stuff, but I have purchased a few of both companies' weathering products and the only thing I can say at the moment is that the washes can be diluted quite a bit - you don't need to do them straight from the bottle. You could, but the effect wouldn't be any stronger (that I have found) and a bottle will last a lot longer if you thin out what you use.

But overall, I have not had any issues with the few products I have used; they've all gone on quite nicely.
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 09:12 PM UTC
Which is better? Ammo of Mig. Better quality paints. More product innovation. Better product. Expanded armor product for the future and they use consumer input.
Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 10:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Which is better? Ammo of Mig. Better quality paints. More product innovation. Better product. Expanded armor product for the future and they use consumer input.

I mainly use Vallejo Air but I have some of the Ammo products as well and they are great. Very good customer service and a nice selection of paints. The modulation paints are really nice as you don't have to mix and you can get consistent results.
Unreality
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 172 posts
Armorama: 145 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:25 PM UTC
I like and constantly use both.

AK:
- I love their primers. The new formula is great (no smell).
- They are the only company that offers a white and deep red enamel streaking products.
- Great range of naval colors
- New metallic colors are fantastic
- Tend to be easier to get in the states

Ammo:
- Best bottle design: ball-bearings for acrylics to act as agitators, and the enamels/pigments have labels on the lids so you don't get them mixed up.
- Love their aircraft washes...some very unique colors
- Love their crystal colors for painting lights
- Love the Weathering Magazine series
- Tend to be cheaper in the states
- New vegetation is great
Jedge3
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 258 posts
Armorama: 208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 07, 2015 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like and constantly use both.

AK:
- I love their primers. The new formula is great (no smell).
- They are the only company that offers a white and deep red enamel streaking products.
- Great range of naval colors
- New metallic colors are fantastic
- Tend to be easier to get in the states

Ammo:
- Best bottle design: ball-bearings for acrylics to act as agitators, and the enamels/pigments have labels on the lids so you don't get them mixed up.
- Love their aircraft washes...some very unique colors
- Love their crystal colors for painting lights
- Love the Weathering Magazine series
- Tend to be cheaper in the states
- New vegetation is great

I second the crystal colors they are great. Actually if you get the right sale, I have ordered directly from Mig in Spain and it was cheaper than in the States but it did take about 10 days to get here.
SPRWITTMANN
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 111 posts
Armorama: 108 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:09 AM UTC
I was looking online at the supplier I use and the price was the same for both so I'll give both a try. Thanks for the feedback.
jasperck
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 79 posts
Armorama: 79 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:22 AM UTC
Both seem to be good product ranges. One warning regarding Ammo paints: spray in VERY light coats only! If you lay it on too heavy, you'll get some nasty fisheyes.
I'm a student, so I tend to choose Vallejo paints over AK or Ammo, but if you can comfortably cover the cost (sorry about the alliteration), these products are worth it (especially the paint sets).
dommy20
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 133 posts
Armorama: 40 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 07:44 AM UTC
I don't know that it makes a difference, but AK was started first with Mig Jiminez as an original founder, however he broke off to start Ammo of Mig. He is no longer affiliated with AK.

As such, according to the press releases from the new company, the Ammo products are supposedly much finer ground pigments and over all better quality, etc.
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:09 AM UTC
Painted my Meng AMX-30 with French army green from the modern French paint set and the color turned out gray. Not gray green but gray. Very disappointed! Will repaint but not the first example of AKI's paint's not being correct!
alewar
Visit this Community
Canelones, Uruguay
KitMaker: 773 posts
Armorama: 765 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 08:17 AM UTC
Hi, I use only Ammo paints. I not buy AK, as I can't find them here, so.

Be careful, and apply the paint in very thin layers, one over another. If not, you ger a wet surface and some orange peel appears.

BTW if you don't like the paint, just put the model under the tap and use a stiff brush to take away the color!. Very useful too to do some chipping effect without the specific product.

I don't agree with some colors of the armour range, but its my taste, specially this "late" greens and almost orange "red brown colors".

Anyway, its another range of colors to add at your collection, among the Tamiya's and Testors ones.

HTH
Regards Alvaro

FD3S20B
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 255 posts
Armorama: 250 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:06 AM UTC
Both are great I have more AK stuff due to them being around longer

I also use true earth
 _GOTOTOP