_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
trumpy BMP-2 rubber track to short?
avenue
Visit this Community
Philippines
KitMaker: 544 posts
Armorama: 542 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 12:52 PM UTC
few months ago while contructing trumpheter BMP-2,I notice the rubber track is little short! fortunately the gap was hide behind the side skirt.
or do anyone encounter similiar problem?
Batpatchedscout
Visit this Community
Jihocesky Kraj, Czech Republic
KitMaker: 32 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 01:52 PM UTC
Can not make any comment on the length of original rubber bands, unfortunately. But I am sure that's a major (not the only) drawback of the kit.
I didn't hesitate and ordered metal tracks made by MasterClub and can swear, that was bloody good decision. The quality is amazing, resin pins work well and they fit together without any special cleanup, no glueing... Have the same experience with BMP-1 and BMD tracks, so I can recommend. A bit pricey, but there are more pros than cons.
rafaltoman
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 68 posts
Armorama: 68 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:27 PM UTC
unfortunately that's right, I had the same problem with this kit.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 08, 2015 - 06:38 PM UTC
I dont have the kit in front of me, waiting for the price to fall, or to build all these old DL kits, or...

Is there any wiggle room in either the idler or sprocket placement?
I do know that the T64 kits with the link to link track were a half link too short unless you shaved off the mounting points for the front-mounted idler and slid it back as far as the cutout in the side armor would allow. Then perfect fit.

Is the idler mount a simple round peg or does it have a squared off portion at the bottom?
For other kits with track fit issues, I have rounded off the hull side of that placement, allowing a small amount of rotation in the idler mounting arm, which lets you get the track tension (tighter or looser) you want.

All that said, I do think that having rubber band tracks in a kit at this price point is a bit of a raw deal. Especially tracks that look this poor AND dont fit ootb.

Mike
My US$0.02, your mileage may vary.
SEDimmick
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,745 posts
Armorama: 1,483 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I do know that the T64 kits with the link to link track were a half link too short unless you shaved off the mounting points for the front-mounted idler and slid it back as far as the cutout in the side armor would allow. Then perfect fit.

Thats strange, I used the Trumpeter AM LTL track set and had no issues what so ever with my two T-64BV builds.

Steve Z built one OOB for a book project and I asked him if he had issues with the track and no problems reported.
 _GOTOTOP