_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Question on Mr. Hobby Color Modulation Set
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 117 posts
Armorama: 84 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:40 AM UTC
May I ask is it Acrylic or Lacquer based paint? Which type of thinner should i use (Mr. Color Thinner or Mr. Color Water Based Color Acrysion Solvent?) Thank you!
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 11:46 AM UTC
Anyone help?
48thscale
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 109 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 03:03 PM UTC
Can't answer your question, but I tried those only once, long time ago.
I seem to remember the thinner being very smelly and very aggressive,and only usable for their paint brands. Enough so to never use it again it turned out,

H.
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 06:24 PM UTC
Hi,

If you mean Mr. Color, that is a solvent based acrylic paint that is better with any Mr. Hobby "Mr. Color" thinner. There are a few around in different sizes, (1) Mr. Color Mr. Thinner, (2) Mr. Color Leveling Thinner and (3) Mr. Color Replenishing Agent.

p.s. The Mr. Hobby non-solvent paint is labelled as "Aqueous Hobby Color" which can be thinned using water.

Hope this help.

Paul
him_15
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 02:22 PM UTC
Hi Paul, thank you for your detailed reply, the color modulation set is the following item:

I am not sure whether I shall be using this thinner: http://www.mr-hobby.com/images/item/404/1.JPG or this http://www.zangeki.com/pic/figure/mr_hobby/mr_hobby/T102/T102.jpg
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 04:08 PM UTC
Hi,

Definitely not the water based one. The Mr. Color Thinner will do.

Paul

jomark
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
Armorama: 100 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 05:30 AM UTC
Since it is a Mr. Color line I would assume that is lacquer based.

Just a slight correction though, the Mr. hobby color aqueous line is not entirely non-solvent. It is very similar to tamiya paints which uses an alcohol based thinner, although you could thin it with water. Non-solvent based paints would be more of the vallejo line of paints which does not play well with solvent based thinners.

gunze also released the acrysion line of paints which is supposed to be an upgrade to the aqueous line by making it more environment friendly. I have a few bottles here but I haven't tried them yet. The seller said that these should only be thinned with the acrysion thinner and that the aqueous thinners won't work well.
 _GOTOTOP