_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Faded U.S. Marine Corp Ulities
tsweeney
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 07:25 PM UTC

Gents I need some help to find a color or color combination that depicts faded and dingy uniforms I've tried few combinations and I'm not satisfied. So I turn to yu professionals for help. By the way I use Vallejo paints

Thanks

Tom

grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 08:39 PM UTC
Not sure what time frame you're looking for, but for WWII, I use the following Vallejo colors/mixes.
Base: 886 Green Grey
Shade: German Field Grey
Highlight: 971 Green Grey
Deep Shadow: 892 Yellow Olive
This produces a great coloration for the P1942 Utilities. Extra fading can be done with tiny amounts of Light Grey and even Pastel Blue

For Korea and Vietnam, I use the following Vallejo colors/mixes:
BASE MIX: 893 US Dark Green 6-7 parts
922 USA Uniform 1-2 parts
825 German Camo Pale Violet Brown 1-3 parts
918 Ivory 1-2 parts
This mix produces a nice faded Jungle Utility so suitable for Nam, and again, additional fading is done with lightening the mix using tiny amounts of Light Grey.

Hope this helps you out with your projects!
Rod
tsweeney
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 149 posts
Armorama: 131 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:13 PM UTC
Rod
thanks for the info will try hope it works out

Thanks

Tom
tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:57 PM UTC
Good morning Tom,

Depends on the era. THe WW2/Korean Conflict era herringbone utilities were used until the early sixties IIRC. THey were a dark olive green with a faint herringbone pattern that became more visible as they were washed providing a salty look. In boot camp we were issued the later heavy cotton non herringbone utilities. THis was in '62. They were a dark olive green, but after a few washings lightened up. They were a heavy cotton. They were replaced in mid '65 by the jungle utilities which were several shades lighter and looser fitting. First issue was in Nam. The cotton sets were used stateside a little longer. They could be worn until worn out or until a certain date when they were to be surveyed out.

THe material in the jungle utilities was a poly cotton combo, thinner, lighter and would dry quicker than the cotton utilities.

So, the cotton utilities varied widely in color, from dark to light depending on how old they were and how salty a look we wanted. Some of the senior NCOs' inspection herringbone utilities were almost white. The jungle utilities started lighter and lightened a lot quicker depending on how they were washed. So... to depict a scene from that era you can have your figures painted in various shades of green. Depends if it'a New Guy or Old Guy. Remember those troops were close to the equator and the sun was intense during the summer months so material faded quickly. .

THe best way to lighten the green is addition of yellow to your green base. Don't be tempted to add white. Green is a combination of blue and yellow, so add a little yellow at a time to lighten the green. Highlight with thinned lightened green. It will duplicate sun bleaching. A small drop of white can be used to slightly adjust the color but that is the venue of an aspiring Vermeer or Reubens.

A very dramatic dark green can be made by adding a little burnt umber to your green base. Since white is a combination of the primaries using it alone to lighten a color will muddy the base color which won't have the vibrancy of the yellow adjustment. Always add the light color to the dark.

You might look at some of the sites that make repro Marine Corps gear for ideas about the the issue colors.

. I would also test the color on a piece of plastic the same color as the figure you are painting.

Later than that the early Nam era I have no idea of the correct colors of the utilities. They have changed dramatically depending on the theaters of operation.
Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 09:19 PM UTC
I totally agree with grunt26's choices for Vallejo.

In my era, '71-'79, we had the solid cotton utilities that faded according to age as stated. My green jungle utilities faded to a tan/yellow below the knees. the jacket cuffs, elbows and collar edges faded to that shade as as well.

I recall the first of the slant pocket 5 color jungle utilities in about '76. I remember those fading to nearly white as well.
grunt26
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 155 posts
Armorama: 121 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 06:59 PM UTC
I've been using these mixes for years, obviously with slight variations, but they do work well. Adding tiny amounts of Deep Yellow, or Ice Yellow, or sand shades, and/or pale greens can shift and alter the base colors for a mulitude of colors, all suitable for USMC uniforms, from WWII all the way through the Post Vietnam years, when cammies started to be the regular issue. Shifting the shades or color a bit using washes or filters also go a long way...

Rod
tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 09:58 PM UTC
THe first issues, (circa August '65 IIRC) of jungle utilities in Viet NAm quickly faded to a yellowish green hue very quickly. Combination of rain soaking/drying cycles, laundering, sweat staining and sun fading.

Seams, collars and cuffs did hold color a litte longer than the the panels.
 _GOTOTOP