_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Advice on Brushes
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 09:15 PM UTC
Hi all,

Since getting back into the modeling groove a few months ago, I've recently done a critical survey of my paint brushes--and it ain't pretty. Ratty looking, inferior materials, just plain old and tired in some cases. I got a starter set of 3 Vallejo brushes and I really like them, so I'm considering buying a decent set. Thought I'd check here first for some advice.

I build 1/35 armor with the occasional complementary figure set. What brushes would any of you recommend for the inevitable hand painting that is to be done for details and figures? Money is not that much of a factor if the brushes are right! I'd like to get a solid set for various tasks. Any brand and size recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
GarethM
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC
Buy your brushes at art supply stores, not from model suppliers. Better quality, better selection. Get a flat bristle brush just wide enough to fit inside the paint jar for flat surfaces on vehicles.
pjmurley
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 63 posts
Armorama: 52 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:25 PM UTC
I agree with Gareth about going to a art supply store. I personally use Winsor and Newton Regency Gold series. The are not too expensive. They have a range of sizes that are perfect for modelling.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 10:58 PM UTC
Thank you both for the advice. I know that when I looked in one of those craft stores (Michael's, I think) I wasn't too thrilled with some of their offerings. I'll have to look again and look elsewhere, for that matter.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:12 PM UTC
Sometimes the most expensive is not best , but then neither are the cheapest . Plus don't neglect the care , cleaning and storage of the brushed no matter what you get .
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 3,608 posts
Armorama: 3,092 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:13 PM UTC
Definitely go to art stores and look for Winsor & Newton brushes - Series 7, Cirrus, or Regency Gold series.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC
Never even heard of these brands (but then again, I hadn't bought brushes for years before getting the Vallejos). I'll have to look into them. As for cheap brushes, that'll never happen. I've used ten-cent camel hairs before--wasted ten cents.
tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 09, 2015 - 11:40 PM UTC
Also Raphael. They have a couple of lines. Natural bristle and acrylic. Their Karell line is excellent for acrylic paints. I have a #4 and #8.

A WN Galeria #1 is very good for detail work.

Dickblick and Jerrysartarama carry the full line of WN Karells Raphael and Kolinsky lines. Also Grumbacher. #1 and #1A for brushes.

I also have a selection of Model Master flats and a couple of rounds I got at a LHS that were close out. The flats are economical and seem to last but the rounds develop hooks and flyaway bristles fairly quickly. Use the correct brush for the paint, brush out all the paint you can before cleaning and don't jam the brush into the bottom of the container. Wash the brushes used for oils in Dawn to remove the solvent and let dry. They will last for years.

Grumbacher has a very nice set in their Degas line. I looked a few days ago and they are on sale. My preference is for long handles. I find I can control them better than the short handles. Personal preference.

I'd go to Michaels, etc and get a handful of cheapo flats, and filberts for dry brushing and filling in large areas especially rough areas of a diorama for example.

Jerrys is having a sale and I'm going to order some Degas brushes as he has a couple I can use and the price is right. Almost half off list.

Hope this helps. Tony
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 12:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Never even heard of these brands (but then again, I hadn't bought brushes for years before getting the Vallejos). I'll have to look into them. As for cheap brushes, that'll never happen. I've used ten-cent camel hairs before--wasted ten cents.

The cheap brushes have their uses .
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 10:14 AM UTC
"The cheap brushes have their uses ." Hummm... Use there handle to stur paint with. Cut off the bristles for diorama grass. Use one when you have to sacrifice a brush to do a one time task.
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 03:51 PM UTC
Hi Karl,

If you are coming back to figure painting, the vallejo ones are fine. Also Tamiya now sells different kinds of brushes which suit novice to expert modellers. Have a look:

http://www.tamiyausa.com/search.php?q=brush

As suggested by friends above, you can find very high quality brushes at art supply shops or from online shops. I just bought a set of Da Vinci Red Sable brushes from Amazon recently. These are quite good for miniature figure painting.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GWH5V0E?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

Paul
SteelEagle
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 38 posts
Armorama: 15 posts
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 07:18 PM UTC
And...to keep those brushes in good shape dip them in SILICOIL after each use.
SILICOIL is a brush cleaner and conditioner that you can pick up at Hobby Lobby.
I dip each brush in it after its been cleaned and then use tissue to soak up the excess before I store the brush.
With the cost of good brushes these days you can keep using them a lot longer with a little TLC.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 10, 2015 - 07:25 PM UTC
Thanks everyone! The detailed responses were very helpful. There are SO many choices out there and I needed a nudge in the right direction. Now that I've got my nudge it's time to buy.

As has been pointed out, the cheapies do have there uses. I've gone to Michael's for the $2.99 sets of foam and camel hair brushes for one-time use on things like tread grousers, gear wear points, etc. So I'm not a "brush snob". I just HATE buying a brush that falls apart regardless of the care used in cleaning it. My 55 year old eyes don't pick up on things like stray bristles until the damage is done, and then my OCD requires a complete do-over. Just tryin' to preserve my sanity! Thanks again.
Removed by original poster on 07/11/15 - 14:46:39 (GMT).
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 06:56 AM UTC
Never let the paint dry on the brushes . Once they get into the base of the brush that's it . It's one hard place to clean .
denstore
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 11, 2015 - 07:44 AM UTC
One thing I've learned about brushes during the last years, is that usually the small sizes, like the 0 and 00 are vastly overrated for painting details. They simply hold too little paint to be easy to work with. Get a really good (that keeps its point) No:1 instead.
Also, read up on the difference between the manufacturers different series. Most of them have different length bristles, ferrules and handles, all to suit different styles of painting. As an example, Da Vinci have several different series of rounds in the top layer. Short bristles, longer, different styles of handles or ferrules. I like the Series 35 for general painting, but prefere the Series 1505 for details. Both are Kolinsky red sable brushes, with short triangular handles, but the bristles on the 35's are much longer, and holds much more paint, and the 1505's have much shorter bristles, and holds the point better than any other brushes I've ever tried. Different tools for different jobs, but still equally well made and at first look very similar.
Zhivago
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, July 12, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

One thing I've learned about brushes during the last years, is that usually the small sizes, like the 0 and 00 are vastly overrated for painting details. They simply hold too little paint to be easy to work with. Get a really good (that keeps its point) No:1 instead.
Also, read up on the difference between the manufacturers different series. Most of them have different length bristles, ferrules and handles, all to suit different styles of painting. As an example, Da Vinci have several different series of rounds in the top layer. Short bristles, longer, different styles of handles or ferrules. I like the Series 35 for general painting, but prefere the Series 1505 for details. Both are Kolinsky red sable brushes, with short triangular handles, but the bristles on the 35's are much longer, and holds much more paint, and the 1505's have much shorter bristles, and holds the point better than any other brushes I've ever tried. Different tools for different jobs, but still equally well made and at first look very similar.

I'd wondered whether the smaller brushes would be worthwhile. So a #1 series 1505 would be a good investment, then? Thanks again, everyone, for your responses. I gotta make every dime count at this point!
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 12:51 AM UTC
After you have been painting a while you will know what want and need and can get the right brushes for yourself .
denstore
Visit this Community
Skåne, Sweden
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 69 posts
Posted: Monday, July 13, 2015 - 09:53 PM UTC
[quote]
Quoted Text

I'd wondered whether the smaller brushes would be worthwhile. So a #1 series 1505 would be a good investment, then? Thanks again, everyone, for your responses. I gotta make every dime count at this point!

I believe you would like it. I do.
Or something similar. The important thing in my opinion is that the smallest brushes, like the 00 and other of the smaller sizes aren't that great for detail, since they don't hold enough paint. Better to buy something larger, but with a well defined point.
chris1
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 949 posts
Armorama: 139 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 15, 2015 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi Karl,
I use the cheap synthetic brushes from the $2:00 shop.
I can get a set with 5/0,3/0,0,1,4 for about $7:00(NZD)

I get a couple of figures out of them and they seem to suit my rough,dry brush style rather well.

Chris
tcomca
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 08:20 PM UTC
The 1505 #1 round is a good choice. Again, the 0 and 00 have their place but it's limited.

Many Asian artists and nail artists use rigger brushes. They are long bristle fine pointed brushes with either a bevelled, pointed or square end, designed for very fine line work, a characteristic of Asian art. The brush holds enough paint to paint a single long line. Because the bristles are long and somewhat flexible, it requires a lot of skill to master. I tried using one and I'll leave their use to others more skilled then I am.
 _GOTOTOP