_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
two builds JCB HMEE and Oshkosh L ATV
Stickframe
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 1,661 posts
Armorama: 1,202 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hello fellow model builders,

I've run into a bit of a rut in regard to what to build for my next dio - but, I wanted to build something(s), so I did.

First up, the JCB HMEE, which is an armored backhoe,take a look:

Above is my version of the JCB HMEE - armored backhoe with slat armor too....the real version below:

I used some extra a HEMMT parts, but it's mostly evergreen and odds and ends:

I couldn't find many specific details about this, but, did see a video or two - from them you can see a high level of mobility - hmmm...well, like many tractors, I'm guessing the axles are mounted at central pivot points, but, they also seem to be four link - pretty cool for a tractor!

Kitbashing slat armor is less easy than it sounds!! but, clearly, its doable. Yes, lots of materials, but nothing too extravagant - or really all that hard to work with.

Although the subject is a bit out of the ordinary - I do like the results - and pretty fun to build!

Next:

This (above) is an Oshkosh L-ATV - I like its looks! I'm a big fan of the MATV, and maybe one of the few out there that likes building the panda version - so, as I have been waiting what seems like a long time for inspiration for another dio project, I also decided to build one of these.

This is one of three prototypes being considered to replace the HMMWV. There are promo pics around, but I couldn't find much else - I know it has the TAK 4 suspension, but I didn't model that - I've done that before, and while cool, it takes more time than I wanted to spend on this!

Version 1:

yeah...no...close, but not right! so, second try:

better!

and finally, the direct comparisons:

you can see neither one is exactly right - getting the hood to work was a real challenge! the one on the left is closer...on the hood -

and there you have them! Once I finished the second version I had a few "ah ha!" moments, regarding how I could actually make a version that is closer to the real deal...uhh, yeah, good idea! nope - these are done!

As for the dio - after all this bashing, I decided I'd go back to a few GMVs and an M1083 - with lots of bashing for them too - and, set into a landscape and with a story - circa 2004....

OK, thanks for having a look!

Nick
WarWheels
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 1,816 posts
Armorama: 1,402 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:54 AM UTC
Nice work on unique subjects Nick.
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:56 AM UTC
WOW!! I'm speechless! Excellent scratch building.

Why don't you contact a company like Takom or MENG and show them these models, maybe they would buy the masters to produce them as kits?

Just wishful thinking

Hisham
okdoky
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,597 posts
Armorama: 806 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:59 AM UTC
Those are fantastic

I really love the detail in that JCB !!!!!!!!!!! Fantastic itchy scratchy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nige
Trisaw
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,105 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:49 AM UTC
Those are truly stunning! The level of detail and complexity are remarkable! Those pieces are worthy of a museum or a Defense company!
fhvn4d
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 564 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 06:56 AM UTC
Nick, amazing job. Looks incredibly like the ones I ran. Didnt have slat armor though, but I like it better !
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 10:59 AM UTC
That's some INSANE scratch building capability right there! Congratulations!

Cheers,
Cristian
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 01:31 PM UTC
Simply awesome Sir!
JoeyKast44
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 02:53 PM UTC
WOW the HMEE I absolutely love
mvaiano
Visit this Community
Sao Paulo, Brazil
KitMaker: 1,054 posts
Armorama: 1,050 posts
Posted: Monday, July 20, 2015 - 04:31 PM UTC
No words, Insane, Fantastic, Amazing!

I know all these words were used above, but the guys are more than correct.

Cheers!

Marco
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hey guys! thanks for the comments, and glad many of you liked checking these out!

I've got to say, they were each interesting - and pretty fun to build. They did not slip into the unpleasant realm of too tedious, out of square, wouldn't stick together etc. Not saying they were easy, but not so complicated that they made me want to quit either.

Patrick, thanks! yes, I'm fond of vehicles with wheels (more so than tracks for example; I'm yet to have mastered building tracks that don't look like crap!), so trying these was good fun - glad you like them.

Hisham, Thanks very much! however, YOU are the man in touch with the manufacturers! and the two you mention are indeed willing to try some out of the ordinary kits - (like the D9R! - which is a very nice build!) who knows? maybe they'll see this post? thanks

Nige - yes! scratchy scratchy! thanks! why not right? really, an interesting piece of equipment....

Pete - whoa! thanks for the words M8! only on my shelf for these guys tho!

Hey Brian - thanks a lot! as usual, you are the real fact checker! if I pass your test, I must be doing OK!

Christian, thanks! but, we have to wonder - "insane" for me taking the time to do this?!?! haha

Hi Sean - thanks - I appreciate it!

Hey Joey - funny, pretty "cool" for a tractor eh??

Marco - thanks X2!!

ok all, thanks for having a look and the comments -

Nick
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:42 PM UTC
Awesome!!! It seems you have way more free time than me.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 09:16 AM UTC
Hey Matt - thanks! Yeah....building for the sake of building....I've been wrestling with ideas for a new dio for a while now...Plan A: my super urban, highly detailed sci-fi extravaganza....yeah....not yet. I just can't nail a reasonable story to go with all the stuff I want to build.

So, Plan B...back to historic context, Iraq circa 2004, and still doing my homework on that. I'll be building the M1083 warpig and a couple of GMVs. It took a while though to find a cited reference for the use of the highly modified 5 ton FMTV, but I finally did! So, that dio will occupy the next few months of my model building time.

In the meantime, I did the above.

Cheers
Nick
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 10:22 AM UTC
Hi Nick!

Great looking builds ... excellent work on all counts! And you know I admire your scratch-building talents! Keep scratchin' that itch!!!

—mike
JoeyKast44
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 05:40 PM UTC
What are the dimensions for the JCB? I would love to make one of them.
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 07:17 PM UTC
http://www.jcb.com/hmee/files/JCB_HMEE_Spec_Sheet.pdf

H.P.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:07 PM UTC
Hi Mike, thanks for having a look! Yeah - idle hands and whatnot....result in seeking out fun things to build - thanks!

Hi Joey and Frenchy - yes, that PDF (attached by Frenchy) is exactly what I would direct you to. It is very clear. You'll find, the tires are very close in diameter to those in the italeri HEMMT kit. I picked the gun truck version up at a bookstore (?weird eh??) a few years back for $10 USD - perfect donor kit!. You'll also find, the version shown in the PDF is not the same as the armored version used in Afghanistan. The cab needs modifications. You'll need to do some more digging to find images, but they're not too hard to find.

The biggest difference can be seen on the front window of the cab. The version in the PDF has a single, contoured glass pane. The armored version has a single, narrow window, and armored walls supporting it. You'll find the "wall" supporting the window has three different planes - one "looking" straight, and two others (one on each side) set at on a slope. The window crosses onto all three wall planes. Getting that window/wall configuration to work right was not easy. But heck, why bother if it were too easy! The slat armor is strictly speculative, based on the attached pic.

The hydraulic cylinders are aluminum tubes, with evergreen rods I the ends used for establishing "glue able" points for brackets etc.

I used 1/16" brass tube for the pivots for the front bucket mounting points on the tractor. if you look back at the pics you'll see plenty is going on up there so I wanted to make sure I didn't break it off while building, and that it stayed square!

Joey - give it a go! Let me know and I can send you WIP pics etc - cheers!
Nick
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 10:42 PM UTC
Joey, you can even find the Operator's Manual online for this beast (unarmored version) :

http://www.liberatedmanuals.com/TM-5-2420-232-10.pdf

According to this TM, the HMEE is fitted with 14.00 R24 Bridgestone VKT tubeless steel radial tires (The HEMTT series has 16.00 R20 tires).

Hats off Nick !

H.P.
Stickframe
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, July 23, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC
Thanks H.P.

Now, about that manual, THAT would have been helpful! Next time I'll write you before I dive into the deep end.😀

Cheers
Nick
JoeyKast44
Visit this Community
Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 06:10 AM UTC
If you could email me WIP pics that would be helpful if possible
Stickframe
Visit this Community