_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Liquid mask over acrylic paint - What to use?
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hi,

I wanted to check the status of liquid masking solutions as of today. I know there are a lot of them being sold but a short read-up shows these are mainly unusable over acrylic coats.

So... what are you guys using to cover acrylic-painted areas? I use Revell Aqua Colors and would like to achieve more complex camo schemes which are difficult to mask by tape or Silly Putty.

Thanks a lot!

Cheers,
Cristian
HK_AFV
Visit this Community
Hong Kong S.A.R. / 繁體
KitMaker: 454 posts
Armorama: 431 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 12:10 PM UTC
Hi Cristian,

If you worry about using liquid masking solution on your acrylic paints, would you consider using camo-mask instead. Quite handy and readily cut for specific AFV and aircraft. J's Work has a big collection and here are their latest offerings.

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/237333

Paul
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 01:47 PM UTC
Thanks Paul! That is indeed one option but the masks are not only available for every vehicle and every pattern. Hence my search for a more flexible solution.

Cheers,
Cristian
Emeritus
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
Armorama: 808 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 03:05 PM UTC
Earlier this year I tried Vallejo's masking fluid over acrylics with a coat of Future on top. It started quickly eating away the Future coat, at which point I promptly removed the fluid before it had time to dry. Glad I hadn't coated a big area yet.
The fact that it's incldued in Vallejo's Model Color acrylics line makes me feel it is probably meant to be safe on those paints, but based on that experience, I don't feel like taking risks.

For masking more complex and intricate shapes I've been using white tack for a long time. Roll into 'sausages', place on model, then fill in the middles with masking tape.
 _GOTOTOP