Hosted by Darren Baker
Attention All Small Scale People
Cactus911
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 119 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 02:50 PM UTC
I would like to throw out the idea that people working in 1:72 post some pictures of their models, either in progress or complete, in their galleries. I'd love to see what kind of work other people are doing. All of the increase in my mediocre skills is due to learning from others, and I'm sure we can learn and be inspired by the work of other people on here!

So let's see some photos!

Stephen
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:25 PM UTC
I've got a few Braille Scale kits in my gallery (Dragon Elefant, Matchbox Comet, Airfix Sheridan) as well as a build/accurization article on the ex-Esci Italeri M1 Abrams. The Abrams article is accessible through the features link on the main menu or through this link: Building a Bantam Abrams. My so-so Braille scale kits can be seen in my gallery accessible through the "my gallery" link below.
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 272 posts
Armorama: 142 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 03:27 PM UTC
If I can get a camera and some time, I will post some of my 1/72 and 1/76. I doubt that there will be much danger of gaining any inspiration from me though! #:-)
ukgeoff
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,007 posts
Armorama: 703 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:28 PM UTC
I've got a couple of 1/72 survivors from way-back-when in my gallery. I doubt they would be helpful to anyone, though. Back then the only weathering technique I'd heard of was dry brushing.

slodder
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 20, 2004 - 11:41 PM UTC
Here are mine:
This is my Op. Cover Up entry in progress:

Here is an AC small scale too:

It does take a different approach to get to the detail needed for the smaller scale.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
KitMaker: 12,927 posts
Armorama: 9,486 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 01:20 AM UTC
With the quality of some of the new 1/72nd scale stuff getting better and better I think this could be a great way to revive interest here in 'Braille-Scale'. Personally I'm getting more and more interested ...Nice idea!...Jim
Cactus911
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 03:05 AM UTC
I'm glad to see some other people are interested in posting their photos. I'll get my digital camera out and experiment with taking some pictures of my finished stuff later this week. I have a Jadgpanzer IV, Ostwind, Panzer IIIM and partially finished off Elefant dio I wouldn't mind sharing.

It's too bad we ever have to do real work, isn't it? It keeps getting in the way...

Stephen
october
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 140 posts
Armorama: 80 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:53 AM UTC
I 've some images stored but every time I try to place them in my gallery I keep getting a site busy or technical difficulty message.Is there a less conjested time to place images?I would appreciate any advice,thanks October.
Wanze
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
KitMaker: 277 posts
Armorama: 88 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 08:26 PM UTC
I have a few of my braille scale AFV's at "My Gallery". When I get time, I will post more of my builds.

Hey Cactus,

You're right about real work geting in the way of the hobby. The month has been really exhausting and i wish that I had the energy to finish some of my on-going projects.

Anyway, I will post them as soon as I get proper shots of my collection.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,307 posts
Armorama: 2,130 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 11:58 PM UTC
Just posted a load of braille-scale stuff in my gallery
https://armorama.kitmaker.net/photos/showgallery.php/cat/500/ppuser/1920
cardinal
Visit this Community
Visayas, Philippines
KitMaker: 1,008 posts
Armorama: 469 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 03:15 AM UTC
Hi. You can check out my 1/72 M2A2 in My Gallery.
Wolf-Leader
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 1,225 posts
Armorama: 520 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 04:22 AM UTC
I would love to post some of my in progress photos of my Panzer IV J in 1/72nd scale, but unfortunately I don't know how and also I do not have a computer of my own I am using the libruarys computer.
Cactus911
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:40 AM UTC
Wow! I'm impressed with everyone's work.

Cardinal -- that truly is an amazing piece of work you have in that Bradley. The weathering and finish on it look fantastic, especially in the bright light photos. It seems like it would not be a stretch to go sit in it.

Wanze -- I've seen your T34 before and commented positively about the nice paint fading technique you used on it. I just tried something similar for the first time on a PST ISU-152 I'm working on and I'm very pleased with the results. I salute you for inspiring me to give it a go.

DaveCox -- You weren't kidding about posting a ton of pictures! I'm really impressed with the scratchbuilding conversion that you did on your truck. I also like how you have so many things going on in your diorama "To The Victor..." I'm starting to think about doing some simple scratchbuilding myself, starting out on a few simple buildings. Your skills show that it is possible to achieve much more complex projects!

Stephen
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 10:25 AM UTC
For the Breakdown truck conversion, there's a 'how-to' on A-uk.
And a few more conversions in the book that I wrote on the subject ( review on A-uk)

Wanze
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 07:10 PM UTC
Hi Cactus,

Thanks for the flattering comments. Never thought of my work as an inspiration to others. Rather I am often inspired by other people's work. I will post more of my stuff once I have taken pictures of them.

Yes, I applied local washes on the T-34/85 rather than an overall wash. Usually, I apply the local dark washes in tight corners, crevices, holes, and areas that create shadow. I try to scale my weathering as much as I can; nothing too heavy except on the hull bottoms.

Hope to see your builds soon in you gallery.
sniper
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,065 posts
Armorama: 508 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:06 PM UTC
Castus (Stephen),

I have a few in my gallery now. I do like the Merkava I did.

I haven't been building lately because I am in the Middle East right now and seeing the real things! I took some color snap shots of some M113's and would love for some company to do a small scale IDF version.

But soon I will be home and will start working on a Revell Fuchs in UN markings. Then I want to give a T34 a go and maybe switch ver to the dark side for a bit and do a Tiger with PE zimmerite.

Steve
Cactus911
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:45 AM UTC
Sniper -- I especially like your Panzer IV H. I have that sitting at home waiting to be built. It bring up a question for me about drybrushing in small scale: given that we are working with something so much smaller than 1:35 and the real thing, does drybrushing go on as well for 1:72 models as it does for our bigger brethren? I can't decide whether or not I like the level of contrast inherent in popping out the details with a very light drybrush when the vehicle is so small. Just a stylistic point, but one I've found myself considering when the object in question is the size of the quarter you appropriately placed in front of it! You also did a nice job weathering that exhaust to give it a range of colors; I've had some success with using a Rustall-like product, but I've found it to be too grainy sometimes. What's your technique?

Wanze -- I suppose I should either not be so hesistant to try out new things on my models or I should just buy some extra sheet styrene, because I usually only try out a new technique once per model. I'm really pleased with how the dark wash (deliberately on a matte model) of very thinned black oil plants toned down the areas around the edges, bringing more contrast to the lighter areas in the middle of the panels. That is the sort of stylized look that I like from looking at other people's models (like yours) that I'd never gotten. So to relate these two comments together, the next step is to drybrush my ISU-152. I'm wondering if I should go without, do a very light past with a lightened green, or go full force.

Stephen
Wanze
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2004 - 06:36 PM UTC
Hi Cactus,

For my T34/85, I airbrushed the middle of the panels with a lighter shade (10% lighter) of the base colour and observed the overall effect of the contrast. If the contrast is too subtle, I drybrush it with a lighter shade until I get the effect I want. The important part is to be patient in drybrushing and in using pure white at the very last (if and when needed). When I just starting out with this technique, I used an old 1/72 kit as a test bed till I got comfortable. Also, I use Humbrol enamels and oil paint as a medium for my wash and highlighting. I find the Humbrol pigments finer for highlighting and it mixes well with oil paint.

You're right about Sniper's work. His technique is admirable and the level of weathering is just right for our scale. As for trying out new things, I am always for it and it leads to a more satisfying hobby. I just wish that I have more time for it.

Wanze
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 4,287 posts
Armorama: 1,867 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 03, 2004 - 05:12 PM UTC
Here's a pic of my ROG Challenger. OOB, with the exception of the VS17 panel. Hope the pic comes through. "Q"

Cactus911
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:48 AM UTC
That's a fine model you have there Red. My next project is painting up a Panzer III L I have worked up. I plan on using the brown wash as you appear to have done. I'm looking forward to this, as I've only used the dark grey/black washes up to this point and I'm curious to see how it came out.

Stephen
BlueBear
Visit this Community
Idaho, United States
KitMaker: 414 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 04:16 PM UTC
As soon as I get me a digital camera, I'll get some pictures up---still useing a stone tablet and chisel out here in Timbuktu #:-)
Cuhail
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 2,058 posts
Armorama: 791 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 - 05:21 PM UTC
Hey, if you are interested in even SMALLER stuff, check out my gallery with 1/160 armor and guntrucks. Scratchbuilt and kitbashed.
Cuhail
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 03:21 AM UTC
Just posted some more small scale pics, 1/72 Churchill with mine roller.

Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:27 PM UTC
Dave - nice kit. Who produces it?

Ross
DaveCox
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, March 25, 2004 - 10:33 PM UTC
Mahross - this was an old ESCI kit that I picked up on Ebay. I'd never heard of it before and just found it while scrolling down the page!
 _GOTOTOP