_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Tamiya rattle can spray pain separating??
jzumbro
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 10:41 PM UTC
Second time now that I have had Tamiya's red brown spray paint separate into different colors and look like crap! The pink/reddish color separated from the brown color, resulting in pools of pink on top of the brown. what a mess. I will try to fix it or cover it up but good luck with that effort! I made sure to shake the can very well, and even tried two separate cans. is this common? Plus it didn't want to stick to the underlying tamiya dk green spray paint in spots where they overlapped. I used primer..frustrated. maybe I can hand paint some other red brown paint on top or something.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 21, 2015 - 11:03 PM UTC
Is this acrylic or enamel ?
jzumbro
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 12:17 AM UTC
TS-1. Since the can doesn't say what it is (acrylic or other?), I had to look it up. It looks like their spray paints are lacquer. I thought they were acrylic! Still, it shouldn't separate! right?
http://www.tamiya.com/english/products/list/tamiya_spray/kit85001.htm

"The paint is synthetic lacquer that cures in a short period of time. Each can contains 100ml of paint, which is enough to fully cover 2 or 3, 1/24 scale sized car bodies. Tamiya spray paints are not affected by acrylic or enamel paints. Therefor, following the painting of the entire assembly, details can be added or picked out using enamel and/or acrylic paints. By combining of three different paints, the decoration of plastic models will become simpler and more effective.
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:15 AM UTC
Are you able to upload any photos? I've used tamiya's spray range for all of my models and may be able to help. It'll be alot easier with photos.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:35 AM UTC
The lacquers separate from the liquid or thinner . Maybe a very aggressive shaking is required . If you look at the bottled version of their surface primer you'll see the separation after it has sat for a while . And I think they have no balls to mix them .
jzumbro
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
This is all I have until I take a good close up. Here is the link to the jagpanther. uploading photos to the forum appears to be impossible.
https://gallery.kitmaker.net/showphoto.php/photo/432850
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 22, 2015 - 03:14 AM UTC
Since it's a lacquer could it be it eating into the paint underneat ? There's not too many things you can seal the paint job that the lawyer will not attack . Do you have an airbrush ? Maybe try decanting the paint , I think the paint can and might be applying too much paint and is reactivating what it's coating .
 _GOTOTOP