_GOTOBOTTOM
AFV Painting & Weathering
Answers to questions about the right paint scheme or tips for the right effect.
Gooey Tamiya paints?
jzumbro
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 100 posts
Armorama: 76 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 08:38 PM UTC
I have been having issues using the bottled tamiya paints for brush painting. They always seem to turn to a gooey, sloppy mess as I am painting. the paint in the bottle or if I decant it to a tray forms a rubber-like film on the top if it is not constantly stirred and leaves bad brush marks. Does this mean the paint is old, or does it mean that it is intended to be thinned considerably before being used? thanks
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 08:50 PM UTC
If it's acrylic it sound like the paint is forming a skin , it's drying . Have you tried adding some acrylic paint retarder tamiya # 87114 . Give that a try . Heck any acrylic retarder will work or should .
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC
Tamiya acrylic paint is not really suited to brush painting. It's really good for airbrushing.

You might try thinning it with laquer thinner, Tamiya's or a generic brand. I found it goes better that way for brush painting, and I always use laquer thinner to thin it for airbrushing.

In any case, I find Vallejo acrylics are excellent for brush painting.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Christophe
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 11:12 PM UTC
I've had the same problem for a while now. Never used to happen. I have noticed Tamiya is putting less paint into their bottles. At first, thought my LHS were buying black market, but they're all like that. I may be paranoid, but I find it odd that first they went to smaller bottles and now less paint? Is more air in the bottle causing the gooeyness???Good marketing plan.Smaller bottles,less paint,more sales,More $$$.

Tom
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Friday, July 31, 2015 - 11:13 PM UTC
What Christophe said. ...

In addition, I recommend using a 'wet palette,' even with Vallejo Acrylics. Note: A shallow plastic container with a resealable lid works really well for this purpose.

I live in a dry climate and have noticed that even my workbench lights and a small circulating fan in the room will decrease useful paint life once out of the bottle. The use of a wet palette has transformed my attitude toward brush painting immeasurably.

HTH.

—mike
 _GOTOTOP