Hosted by Darren Baker
ACE model question
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 08:32 PM UTC
Anyone have any good, or bad, experiences with 1/72 Ace Model kits? Detail? Fit? Ease or difficulty of assembly? Etc...?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 09:05 PM UTC
Leo,

Ace kits are the proverbial box of chocolates and you never know what you’ll get. Their moulds are made from softer metal and therefore are okay with initial runs but get quite bad as they age (more flash, prominent mould seams, distorted parts etc). The newer the release, the less problems with the kit. All kits are made by "Short Run Technology" (injection under low pressure).

Cheers,
Jan
Bonaparte84
Visit this Community
Hessen, Germany
KitMaker: 338 posts
Armorama: 331 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Leo,

Ace kits are the proverbial box of chocolates and you never know what you’ll get. Their moulds are made from softer metal and therefore are okay with initial runs but get quite bad as they age (more flash, prominent mould seams, distorted parts etc). The newer the release, the less problems with the kit. All kits are made by "Short Run Technology" (injection under low pressure).

Cheers,
Jan

Well, I can testify for the bad kind of result you can get. THe only ACE kit I bought so far, a Sd.Kfz. 250/9 (alt) was simply awful and will probably never see completion... unless I depict it as a pile of junk
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 02, 2015 - 11:36 PM UTC
Here are a few images of a recent Ace Kit of the 2S1 SPG. This is a middle of the road offering.

The worst part of this kit is the link and length tracks. Lots of flash and thereby filing required. BTW, the body and turret needed a fair amount of clean-up.

Cheers
Jan
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 01:15 AM UTC
Ace kits are broadly speaking a "love em or leave em" type of thing.

They have a great (as in not easy to get anywhere else) subject range but I'll echo what the other guys have said, wheels,tracks and fine detail areas usually require a lot of careful work to make usable.

Like all kits that can be made to work and the results sometimes surprise but if you're looking for a shake n bake forget it ....

cheers
Brent

A couple of my ace efforts, RSO, Waffentrager and LAV/AT;

nikon1
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 622 posts
Armorama: 605 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:16 AM UTC
The newest releases by Ace are much better then their earlier releases but, still require some extra work to make a nice looking model.
Cheers
Charlie
DaGreatQueeg
Visit this Community
Napier, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,049 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The newest releases by Ace are much better then their earlier releases but, still require some extra work to make a nice looking model.
Cheers
Charlie

Totally, I am looking fwd to having a crack at their new Centurions when they come out though .....

http://www.network54.com/Forum/47210/message/1438641586/Centurion+Mk.3+and+Mk.5

phantom_phanatic309
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
Armorama: 423 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:24 AM UTC
A new tooled Centurion? Shut up and take my money!
panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:13 PM UTC
i find the ace models are good
ive built the warrier odd little gap but i found it great

i do have the scorpion tank which i am having abit of trouble with the side exhaust though but i wouldnt doubt ace models they are good and the details is nice
 _GOTOTOP