_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
OPVT SCHNORKEL ON T10M HEAVY TANK
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 978 posts
Armorama: 965 posts
Posted: Monday, August 03, 2015 - 03:57 AM UTC
I understand that one of the incremental improvements on the T10 series was the ability to Schnorkel using the OPVT system; does anyone know how this was stowed on this particular tank - or indeed whether or not there were any other visible modifications (in addition to the tube that is)?

Thanks - in anticipation.

Brian
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 02:32 AM UTC
That'll be a "No" then; b**ger!

Oh well - a plastic tube and a bit of Milliput and some imagination will have to do.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 1,024 posts
Armorama: 1,013 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 03:26 AM UTC
Its far better if you have at least some info.
I cannot remember where did I find this picture, but its the only one I recall with the wading equipment installed.
Hope it helps

0511_164
andymacrae
Visit this Community
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 409 posts
Armorama: 402 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:08 PM UTC
There's something tubular mounted on the rear decks of these ones?

http://alternathistory.org.ua/files/170809_T-10_18.JPG

HTH
Andy
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Its far better if you have at least some info.
I cannot remember where did I find this picture, but its the only one I recall with the wading equipment installed.
Hope it helps

0511_164

Hugo,

Many thanks - those are rare pictures indeed - or at least to me. They've got me thinking as to a totally different way of displaying my model!

Thanks again,

Brian
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, August 04, 2015 - 01:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There's something tubular mounted on the rear decks of these ones?

http://alternathistory.org.ua/files/170809_T-10_18.JPG

HTH
Andy

Andy,

Thanks; I'd seen this one (and a few others in Czechoslovakia)- there's more than enough room on the rear decks to stow the equipment but it's the method I was keen to discover. I suppose some sort of bracket on the hull sides may have done the trick; it would mean the crew probably having to remove the equipment when maintaining the engine but that may have been acceptable. A glimpse as to how long exactly the tubes were when stowed would have been nice, but what the hell?!

Thanks again for the response; I wonder too what the device on the turret side of the following tank was?

Brian
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 05:59 AM UTC
I have no pictures of the T-10 with any wading gear equipped, but MY PERSONAL guess is the brackets often seen right below the gun travel lock on the rear hull, way in the back. I seriously doubt they stored the wading system on the engine deck...no one likes to foul up their engine deck.
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 06:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have no pictures of the T-10 with any wading gear equipped, but MY PERSONAL guess is the brackets often seen right below the gun travel lock on the rear hull, way in the back. I seriously doubt they stored the wading system on the engine deck...no one likes to foul up their engine deck.

Jacques,

Having studied my half-built Trumpeter model and a Russian publication containing a scale drawing, I feel that the brackets below/alongside the gun travel lock are those for the smoke discharger canisters; if any Schnorkel tube was stowed any lower then it would be in danger of being damaged.

I've also looked closely at the photo provided by Andy (above) and also the rear deck of the model; I reckon that the very back of the engine decks is actually clear of any opening covers - although there is a small grill located centrally - but if the tube was fitted to some sort of bracket and therefore raised slightly - as per Andy's photo - then this would not be blocked or fouled.

I think I'll have to resort to a bit of "gizmology" and devise some brackets and guess the length of the tube. An end cover from Milliput shouldn't be too much of a problem. I think with fuel barrels, smoke canisters and then my stab at the OPVT the model will look sufficiently "busy".

Thanks very much for your input; I hadn't quite realised that this query would prove to be a bit tricky!

Brian
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Wednesday, August 05, 2015 - 09:53 PM UTC
I tend to disagree about the placing of the snorkel over the engine deck, unless it was done for travelling and for a limited time, since in that position it would interfer with a free rotation of the turret, and with the main gun vertical movement while turret was in 6 o clock position.
Doesn't seem the smartest place to carry it...
BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 03:54 AM UTC
Hugo,

Whilst in a perfect world tanks would not have any clutter on their rear decks the fact is they do - born of necessity; my supposition that the T10 would affix its Schnorkel tube on the rear deck would not necessarily preclude the tank - should it require so to do - engaging its main armament over the rear decks. Soviet tanks tended to have such clutter as fuel drums located on the rear anyway; just look at the T72 with its equipment - the fuel drums would clearly obstruct any requirement for the main armament to fire especially to depress.

Tanks are clearly designed to fight really over the frontal arc in any case; as I say, in a perfect world they would be able to fight over 360 degrees but this option I feel, is rare and not borne out by working practice.

The pictures (courtesy of Andy) whilst literally a snapshot, would indicate to me - not least as the Soviet Army (in fact like most armies) - was pragmatic and the placing of the Schnorkel tube would I suspect merely reflect standard operating procedures at the time.

Of course, I stand to be corrected!

Brian
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 07:20 AM UTC
Soviet doctrine states that the fuel drums on the rear are NOT to be used in combat, but only to be used to extend the range of the tank. If going into battle is expected, they are to be taken off. They are a BIG fire hazard.

No tanker likes the engine deck fouled. It produces items that can mess up the engine if hit, and it can prevent proper use of the main gun when needed.

As for the wading equipment. My guess is the photos show an attempt to fit/work them in BUT that the T-10 was too heavy for fording of any great depth and so it did not carry the equipment. Just a guess. If it did carry fording equipment, it would not be this hard to find it.

Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 06, 2015 - 07:20 AM UTC
BTW Brian, I think you are correct that those brackets are for the smoke cannisters.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 03:43 AM UTC
I agree with Jacques about both the fuel drums use in general, and the wading stuff on the T-10 tanks
But if you still want to go that way, why not to use something like this -cannot recall the origin of the photo-

BootsDMS
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 04:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I agree with Jacques about both the fuel drums use in general, and the wading stuff on the T-10 tanks
But if you still want to go that way, why not to use something like this -cannot recall the origin of the photo-

Well, yes, this sort of proves my point about the Soviets not being too fussed over the rear arc!

As I said earlier I do like my tanks to have that "busy" look so will fit my T10M out accordingly.

Thanks for all your input.
hugohuertas
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
Posted: Friday, August 07, 2015 - 06:26 PM UTC
You are welcome Brian
Please share with us the final result of your project, it will surely have a different and interesting look.
 _GOTOTOP