_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
For those contemplating building a M3 honey
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 12:29 PM UTC
A link that might be of interest to you.

Bellman
The Story of a Stuart

regards
Pete
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 01:45 PM UTC
I have seen this article before. Thanks for bringing back to my attention.
The author certainly has a valid argument. And I personally do agree with him and his color choices.
Thanks again pete.
garrybeebe
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 1,969 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:14 PM UTC
Many thanks for posting this piece!
A very interesting and helpful article.

Cheers,
Garry
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 02:45 PM UTC
Having read the article,I thought it made sense and painted my Honey accordingly.
Maybe I'm missing something but it seems to me that the blue/grey colour would have made the vehicles rather conspicuous! In my personal opinion the slate grey/light stone is a better paint scheme. If anyone else has any thoughts I'd be pleased to hear them.
regards
Pete

Ps If i can persuade my cheap old digicam to work properly I'll attempt to post a couple of pics somewhere
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
Armorama: 3,293 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 04:58 PM UTC
"The current colour offering from Academy seems to be based on colour drawings that were published in Fine Scale Modeler in November 1997."

While this color scheme may have appeared as mentioned, the use of blue in this camo scheme dates back at least to the original LRDG Chevy kit by Tamiaya in the mid-1970's and was referenced either by Matchbox or Hasegawa on their 1/72 scale M3 offerings about the same time and certainly before FSM was first published in 1982.

The use of blue was mentioned as a useful color either in the Tamiya LRDG instruction sheet or in an article on this sceme in the ancient Military Modeler magazine from Challenge Publications, again well before the 1997 refrerence date.

Additionally, I have World War II Tanks by Eric Grove (1976), Tanks Of World War 2 by Chris Ellis, (1981) and Tanks of World War Two by Jean Restayn that I purchased in 1997 that ALL show a blue to blue gray color on British vehicles in North Africa.

Given the controversy and no definitive answer to this question that I've seen, the builder IMHO is free to paint either the blue or whatever color he/she can document on this tank.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2004 - 07:06 PM UTC
Nice article
cromwell
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 202 posts
Armorama: 178 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:36 AM UTC
From what I have read, the colour was not used as camoflage but to put off the enemy who had them in their sights.

So I would have thought that a higher contrasting colour had been painted.

What we need to do, is talk to Gramps and see he if he could remember any details. Unfortunately my Grandad who fought in Africa has past away some 10 years ago. But he was an artillery man.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 08:30 AM UTC
Blue and a few other funny colors were used as at one stage in the middle east there was a cronic shortage of paint.
 _GOTOTOP