_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M103A2 USMC Dragon 1/35
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 921 posts
Armorama: 919 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 02:11 AM UTC
Recently finished, OOB with the exception of the barel. Decals are fictional like the accuracy of the kit.

Frustration about the quality of the kit is a kind word to use, I did not bother correcting anything on it. I was very excited to see the release, dissapointed to say the least when I saw the ammount of work needed in order to make a decently accurate model.

Comments and suggestions are more than welcome.
Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 03:40 AM UTC
Great paintwork and weathering! If you don't mind me asking, what material did you use to represent the mantlet cover?
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 04:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

what material did you use to represent the mantlet cover?

I used PVA glue dilluted in water and napkin paper. I conforms really nice to the lines of the object you want to covers and bonds nicely, so that the strips of paper do not show. It was primed with Mr Surfacer 1000 and painted with Vallejo Panzer Aces canvas color.

The basic color for the model was Vallejo 71018 Cam. black Green
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 05:23 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Recently finished, OOB with the exception of the barel. Decals are fictional like the accuracy of the kit.

Frustration about the quality of the kit is a kind word to use, I did not bother correcting anything on it. I was very excited to see the release, dissapointed to say the least when I saw the ammount of work needed in order to make a decently accurate model.

I, too, was excited and then crushed. Still, you made something that looks nice, so maybe I will reconsider my decision not to give Dragon my money. You did all you could do (without making yourself crazy) and you produced something that looks great! Chapeau!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 08:31 AM UTC
Well done. The canvas mantlet cover really shines. As for accuracy, I believe Dragon use WoT as the definitive source.
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Well done. The canvas mantlet cover really shines. As for accuracy, I believe Dragon use WoT as the definitive source.

M103 is not available in the WoT. So the main reference for this kit was Dragon's designer imagination

As for the mantlet cover: it is very well done on this model, although it is worth mentioning that the real M103A2 had an accordion style cover (like M48A3), not the "potato bag" style like M103/M103A1. Considering the big inaccuracies in the basic Dragon model, this is really a minor point.
Pedro
Visit this Community
Wojewodztwo Pomorskie, Poland
KitMaker: 1,208 posts
Armorama: 1,023 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

M103 is not available in the WoT. So the main reference for this kit was Dragon's designer imagination

As for the mantlet cover: it is very well done on this model, although it is worth mentioning that the real M103A2 had an accordion style cover (like M48A3), not the "potato bag" style like M103/M103A1. Considering the big inaccuracies in the basic Dragon model, this is really a minor point.

Well, there is an M103 in wot, and to be frank, in-game model looks much better shapewise than dragons effort, so your point with dragon's model being based on "designer's imagination" stays

Greg
Vodnik
Visit this Community
Warszawa, Poland
KitMaker: 4,342 posts
Armorama: 3,938 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 12:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Well, there is an M103 in wot, and to be frank, in-game model looks much better shapewise than dragons effort, so your point with dragon's model being based on "designer's imagination" stays

Greg

OK, my mistake. I thought that only WW2 and earlier real and "paper" tanks were included. Obviously I'm not a WoT fan
djohannsen
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 355 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 01:38 PM UTC

Quoted Text

OK, my mistake. I thought that only WW2 and earlier real and "paper" tanks were included. Obviously I'm not a WoT fan

It's a fun game, if you know up-front that it is not a simulation and are OK with that (of course, this isn't everybody's cup o' tea). Also, the armor in the game runs through the fifties/sixties (there's also an M48 on the US) - just not up to the truly modern tanks.
GTDeath13
Visit this Community
Attica, Greece / Ελλάδα
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 05:59 PM UTC
Thank you guys for the comments, really appreciate them.

Pawel you are absolutely correct about the manlet cover, but I could not convince myself to get in the trouble of making the correct type of cover.

I really hope that Amusing Hobby will release their Conqueror variants soon, since I do not want to waste any more money on Black Label things other than whiskies.
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 09, 2015 - 07:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Wrong , it is a tier 9 heavy in the U.S. Tree.
 _GOTOTOP