_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
Tank Stowage
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, February 08, 2002 - 04:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

DJ, in the Shepard Paine book, Modeling Tanks and Military Vehicles, there is a very good diagram on how to make the tie-downs out of both metal and out of sprue or styrene rod. I can scan and send you the page if it will help, a picture is worth a thousand words. I would also recommend this book to any military modeler, in fact, it was my first modeling book. Just to show you how long this book's been out & good this book is, the cover price of mine says $8.95 and the MSRP is $14.95, Squadron carries them for $13. First printing was 1982.

I came across this book today in my local hobby shop. It's really good. The first one I've seen that actually shows and explains how to do some detailing projects and how to build things with sprue. The cost was $14.95...guess I'll need to put it on the birthday list.
zipperhead
Visit this Community
Canada
KitMaker: 27 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 08:18 AM UTC
A buddy of mine let me borrow his copy of the book.I find the book a big help too since I'm just starting.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 10:23 AM UTC
Damn, check that out...in approx. 3 paragraphs Sabot has answered 90% of our stowage questions, plus created a nice 'mental picture' we can all draw from.......Damn. :-)
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 09:16 PM UTC
Friends--the next subject matter area is welding seams. Tony Greenland has a method which consist of pre drill a groove in the plastic then glueing stretched spruce in the space. Once the glue sets, he rought the spruce with a dremel burr. Paine has several suggestions. One of the easiest is to place a thin line of green putty on the site of the welding seam then rough it up. What do you folks do?
DJ
Tin_Can
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,560 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 09, 2002 - 10:58 PM UTC
I'm not at the stage in my armor modeling that I need to worry about adding weld seams. I did see the book in which Tony Greenland explains how he makes them and it's pretty good (not to mention the rest of the book, 'Modeling the German Panzer').
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 10, 2002 - 04:27 AM UTC
Amigo--never worry about welding seams. Think about the accuracy it adds to the model and the methods people use to achieve the effect. Try it, you'll like it!
DJ
 _GOTOTOP