_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum: Cold War Soviet Armor
For discussions related to cold war era Russo-Soviet armor.
Waiting for a New Shilka
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC
Who else would like to see an accurate Shilka? This would be a great opportunity for Trumpeter to flex its muscle.
jasegreene
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 751 posts
Armorama: 751 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:38 PM UTC
I would,all I have is the ancient DML kits from the early 90s.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:45 PM UTC
Me too! The old DML/Italeri kits are rare and hard to get.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Me too! The old DML/Italeri kits are rare and hard to get.

Maybe I ought to start selling off the ones in my stash, but shipping to Germany would not be cheap.

I would love it if Trumpeter/Hobby Boss took a swing at the ZSU 23/4 series. That DML kit is quite a dog, but it's the only game in town.

THe surefire way to get them to do it would be to start in on the one I collected all the bits and pieces for. Tracks, barrels, Eduard etch, interior..
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 13, 2015 - 11:56 PM UTC
I've always wondered why Trumpeter never did the Shilka since they already have the basic hull with the Sam-6

Hisham
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:10 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I've always wondered why Trumpeter never did the Shilka since they already have the basic hull with the Sam-6

Hisham

This has puzzled me, as well.
And, yes the Dragon kits are dogs. I have one built up, excepting the tracks(as I have lost them).
As a testament to Cold War Russian armor, I dropped the Shilka upside down on concrete and it didn't even scuff the paint.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hi;

IMHO I did not think that they were all that Bad, I Built Two of them, and I did replace the Barrels, tracks, and purchased A Resin Feed Tray for the Guns which turned out to be easy to build into the kits, Now if my Memory Serves me correctly DML made Four of the Shilkas. Now I will admit that they are Not Near as Nice as the New Stuff were getting.
But the Way Trumpeter is Turning out New Subjects I think they will offer one in the Future.

CHEERS; MIKE.
Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 10:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Maybe I ought to start selling off the ones in my stash, but shipping to Germany would not be cheap.

The reason I stopped looking at ebay.com... At the prices, they may be hand-carrying them to my door

Quoted Text

THe surefire way to get them to do it would be to start in on the one I collected all the bits and pieces for. Tracks, barrels, Eduard etch, interior..

So what are you waiting for! We are all waiting for the kit! Get back to that stash right away!

I'd also like to see a non-resin-won't-break-the-bank ZSU-57-2 while at it...
David1988
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 12:54 PM UTC
There is simply a gaping hole in the market for Shilka and Tunguska in different variants, especially because Shilka at least should be quite easy to find reference / get measurements for
alanmac
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,953 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:10 PM UTC
If you are interested in upgrading the DML kit rather than wait for a possible new tooling kit from somebody, then Chris at Inside the Armour does a nice upgrade set excluding the barrels.

More details here
http://www.insidethearmour.com/sovietbuiltarmour.html
Kilo_Uniform
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
Armorama: 135 posts
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 01:31 PM UTC
Hi Guys

I have recently acquired one of the Dragon kits for the Shilka after a multi-year search, and having read some of the comments on the kit being a dog, I must admit I am a bit concerned. What are the major pitfalls/issues that I have to look out for?

Having finally found one of these kits after a long search I wouldn't want to bin it and getting AM part to South Africa is a [REALLY] expensive exercise [exchange rate & postage]. Then there's also always the risk of things getting "lost" in the mail.

Regards,
Kobus
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Friday, August 14, 2015 - 05:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Guys

I have recently acquired one of the Dragon kits for the Shilka after a multi-year search, and having read some of the comments on the kit being a dog, I must admit I am a bit concerned. What are the major pitfalls/issues that I have to look out for?

Having finally found one of these kits after a long search I wouldn't want to bin it and getting AM part to South Africa is a [REALLY] expensive exercise [exchange rate & postage]. Then there's also always the risk of things getting "lost" in the mail.

Regards,
Kobus

Problems.. well it's a 1990's DML kit, pre-internet, pre-wide access to actual vehicles. Think old black and white parade footage as references, visually recognizable as a ZSU23/4, but...

The gun 'tub' is wildly under detailed ( missing all those hoses, solid shell ejector chutes, and the muzzle caps and wiring), DML's 1990 hatch hinges are pretty toylike. The main hull top to bottom fit is poor and, iirc, the road wheels are hollow on the back.

I think DML only did two versions, the ZSU 23-4M and the 23-4V1.
Pretty minor differences between the two kits, mostly roof sights (?) They may have been released under the extinct (?) Shanghai Dragon label.
At least one of these was re-released under the Cyber Hobby Orange box series with the DML Motor Rifles Troops figures.
I thought Italeri had released the same kit in their boxing as well.
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 04:12 AM UTC
Hi Kobus;

In Reality, it all Depends on How Much that you want to correct your kit detail wise, and if you look at Alan's picture then you can add A lot of extra details, and Cost and Available AM sets mite be A Factor in your build. If you are A Person that wants to be as Accurate as Possable and Cost is No Object then there is your answer. As I said before the Basic kit with some Ugrades will make into A nice model.

CHEERS; MIKE.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 04:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Kobus;

In Reality, it all Depends on How Much that you want to correct your kit detail wise, and if you look at Alan's picture then you can add A lot of extra details, and Cost and Available AM sets mite be A Factor in your build. If you are A Person that wants to be as Accurate as Possable and Cost is No Object then there is your answer. As I said before the Basic kit with some Ugrades will make into A nice model.

CHEERS; MIKE.

If money was no object, I could have a CAD image rendered and printed.
Kilo_Uniform
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 02:54 PM UTC
@Mike & Mike

Thanks for the feedback guys - at least I now know what to look out for and I can decide whether I do want to spend the extra cash on 'correcting/updating' the Shilka or not. At this stage I'm very much an OOB builder but some of the work I have seen on Armorama has made me raise my sights (and hopefully skills) higher.

I got on of the Cyber Hobby Orange Box kits with the extra troops.

Regards,
Kobus
Kilo_Uniform
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 02:55 PM UTC
@Matt

If money was no object I would have one of those parked in my back yard
deerstalker36
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 232 posts
Armorama: 218 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 06:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

At this stage I'm very much an OOB builder but some of the work I have seen on Armorama has made me raise my sights (and hopefully skills) higher.

I always start with the good intentions of being an OOB builder, then i look at the stash of styrene sheet i have and it gets the better of me

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 07:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

@Matt

If money was no object I would have one of those parked in my back yard

True. True.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 15, 2015 - 07:48 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

At this stage I'm very much an OOB builder but some of the work I have seen on Armorama has made me raise my sights (and hopefully skills) higher.

I always start with the good intentions of being an OOB builder, then i look at the stash of styrene sheet i have and it gets the better of me

The internet has turned me from a happy ootb builder to an AMS-ridden aftermarket collector. The builds I have finished this summer( and enjoyed) have been ootb 1/72 late war German a/c, some even...gasp.. the Hobby Boss 'quick build' series...-hangs head in shame-
My completion rate for detailed armor projects is much lower..

I did build one when it came out and would love to take another run at it. Maybe I'll sell all this aftermarket, make a house payment, and wait for Trumpeter.
Jacques
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 4,630 posts
Armorama: 4,498 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 16, 2015 - 11:12 PM UTC
I got one for you all: Build the US$20 DML/Italeri kit OOB for fun while you wait for the Trumpeter kit. No references, no AM, just build it. It can help cure, or at least subdue, AMS.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, August 17, 2015 - 01:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I got one for you all: Build the US$20 DML/Italeri kit OOB for fun while you wait for the Trumpeter kit. No references, no AM, just build it. It can help cure, or at least subdue, AMS.

The 'just build it' mantra is hard to follow sometimes.
Better yet Jacques, shift gears and spend the summer cleaning out old shelf queens, knock off a few late war ootb 1/72 German a/c, and sell off a bunch of old DML BMP's, BTR's, BRDM's, Skif T64's and Mtlb's.
I finished more kits this summer than ever and had more fun doing it than I remember for most 'serious' builds lately.

Crummy fit on those old Heller kits, you betcha.
Lack of detail on the Hobby Boss quick builds, un-huh
and I'm ok with it.

Mike
who has worked up a good head of steam to get some armor builds done now.
juge75
Visit this Community
Jasz-Nagkyun-Szolnok, Hungary
KitMaker: 843 posts
Armorama: 841 posts
Posted: Friday, August 21, 2015 - 10:03 AM UTC
"I think DML only did two versions, the ZSU 23-4M and the 23-4V1.
Pretty minor differences between the two kits, mostly roof sights (?)"

The two main export variants V1 appeared in 1970, and then came the modernized 4M.
What has changed ?
The cooling machine guns ( thicker fluid flexible pipes) .
Tower side , also for more efficient cooling , it was a big tank , changed the dome and the cannon commanding the controls panel is next to the commander.
Commander of the 4M version has changed strikingly: the control panel inside the tower, left, and the tower had only received two monitoring prisms and the third place was a folding optical célzóberendezés, it contains an objective (data) could give directly to the RSP (shoot element forming computer ) toward. IFF was possible to cover the installation under the radar, since the radar has become thicker. Due to the increased weight and stress on the chassis has also changed: two front stiffener received, allul the body, and the left have three mounting holes, it was somewhere else and saw the recording of the towing cable.
In addition to machine guns plus shield is received, it is better shielded tubes, protected from dust, sand, and the discovery is made more difficult for infrared systems.
On-board gas turbine plant has continued to improve (should locator energy), the other part did not change, because it has worked.
 _GOTOTOP