_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
King Tiger 331 Balaton questions
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 19, 2015 - 11:24 PM UTC
I just ordered Star's new decal sheet "German Tanks in Hungary 2" and plan to do the King Tiger 331 with "Wildesau" painted on the turret. http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/srd35874.htm
I did some Googling and found just one picture. As far as info, I found that this tank was commanded by Rolf Westerhagen and this tank originally was in the Battle of the Bulge and apparently survived to be transferred to take part in the Lake Balaton offensive. I have 2 questions-

1)would this be the single link tracks or double? I can tell if the spare tracks on the hangers are single link or just half of a double link track. I know some BoB Tiger IIs had some of the single link ones.

2) If this was a BoB Tiger II, would it still have a dot ambush scheme? I can't see one, but I wasn't sure if it was faded or if this tank was repainted

Thanks!
Headhunter506
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,575 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 12:18 AM UTC
331 used double linked tracks. As far as camo, I'll look up the Fgst. No. and check the production date. That's a fairly reliable indicator as to what scheme was applied.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 20, 2015 - 12:21 AM UTC
Thanks! I just picked up the Black Knight boxing for a great price, so that takes care of that.
 _GOTOTOP