_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Need Response Quikly!
Katyusha
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 110 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 12:54 PM UTC
I have signed up for the Coverup Campaign, and I did it without realizing that I only have 9 Days. I need Someone to tell me a quick, easy way on how to make icicles. A quik response would be great. Thanks.

I am also looking for a quick, easy way to make logs that doesnt involve buying them in a kit.

~Katyusha~
What have I gotten myself into. Building a dio from scratch in less than 15 hours.
tazz
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 1,462 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:03 PM UTC
may be u can use styafrom and u can cut it
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:25 PM UTC

O.K., quick. For logs you can use dried branch sections, just use your 1/35th scale 'eyes'.
For icicles, you can use clear either clear epoxy, or if your braver use gap-filling CA glue, just build it up. It will dry more white than clear though......don't know what you are looking for.
hth.

Tread.
Sealhead
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 427 posts
Armorama: 212 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:38 PM UTC
Consider gloss medium for icicles.

Sealhead (Kansas Sunflower)
Monte
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 833 posts
Armorama: 601 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:42 PM UTC
You could try clear stretched sprue for icicles. Same as making an antena just with the clear stuff.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,314 posts
Armorama: 1,905 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 01:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am also looking for a quick, easy way to make logs that doesnt involve buying them in a kit.

Go to your backyard, local park, etc and look for bushes, twigs etc that are the approximate size you want and snip some off. They "look" real, because they are , and you can't beat the price. Good luck!.

Steve
PorkChop
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 3,179 posts
Armorama: 1 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 04:28 PM UTC
And in Virginia those Free-High-Tech-After-Market-Logs won't be covered in snow.
dioman
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 485 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:27 PM UTC
I saw icicles made using the old tube glue.....use a piece of wood and hold it up on a couple of paint tins or something.....now touch the glue to the wood and let it hang....it will stretch a little before it dries....depending on how long the piece of wood is you can make as many or as few as you want....when dry use an x-acto to cut them off and glue them to your piece.
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
KitMaker: 6,871 posts
Armorama: 2,071 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 05:43 PM UTC
Cosidering that the icicles are not completely transparent but have this frozen semi white semitransparent look i think you can use pieces of transparent (clear) sprue and try to make the length and volume u want and after use a light white wash and high gloss enamel to give the wet look
Eagle
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 4,082 posts
Armorama: 1,993 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 09:20 PM UTC
A simple and excellent technique is this (thanks to Ronny for putting this on his site) :

slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 11,718 posts
Armorama: 7,138 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:51 AM UTC
Agree with everything above.
Logs - out back. Give them a wash or two of various colors to tone them down to scale.

Icicles - Yet another option is Hot Glue. Touch and pull and it streatches into long strand like things. Cheap to, hot glue gun is like $3 glue is $.99 for a pack. Head to Michael or AC Moore and bring one of thier weekly 40% off coupons.
 _GOTOTOP