_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
U.S.M.C M1a1 Carnivore question.
Tankbuff
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 05:21 AM UTC
Hello everyone,
I am building the U.S.M.C. M1a1 named Carnivore. My question is is there a exposed wire going from the rear hull to the tank infantry box? I seen Mike Witous build of Carnivore and it looks like it does. But yet I am being told from others the TIP box does not have any exposed wires. Any help would sure be appreciated, I am trying to get this project wrapped up. Thank you!
Leopard-2
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 229 posts
Armorama: 220 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:28 AM UTC
Just took a look in the Tankograd book about TUSK Abrams and the photos don't show exposed cables from the box going to anywhere. I guess in Carnivore's case it might have been an improvised cable laying.
cwo-3
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:59 AM UTC
Howdy Jeff,

This MPF vehicle had the early TIP with the exposed wires. The TIP box itself is different than later vehicles. I went over the entire vehicle with my friend Nick Popaditch, the TC of Carnivore, who shared many pictures of the vehicle as well as information regarding personal gear, stowage etc. Remember, this vehicle was painted all green. Please feel free to contact me direct at [email protected] if you would like any more information.
Removed by original poster on 08/25/15 - 13:22:54 (GMT).
spetsnazgru
Visit this Community
Lebanon
KitMaker: 661 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 06:23 PM UTC

DG0542
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 125 posts
Armorama: 125 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 06:34 PM UTC
I read Gunny Popaditch's book, very informative. I hope he is doing well.

Quoted Text

Howdy Jeff,

This MPF vehicle had the early TIP with the exposed wires. The TIP box itself is different than later vehicles. I went over the entire vehicle with my friend Nick Popaditch, the TC of Carnivore, who shared many pictures of the vehicle as well as information regarding personal gear, stowage etc. Remember, this vehicle was painted all green. Please feel free to contact me direct at [email protected] if you would like any more information.

Tankbuff
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 83 posts
Armorama: 83 posts
Posted: Monday, August 24, 2015 - 09:04 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy Jeff,

Thank you Mr. Witous for your quick reply. I had it right from the beginning, your reply is much appreciated. If I have any more questions I will give you a shout. And thank you to every one who replied to my question!
cwo-3
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 109 posts
Armorama: 75 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 06:52 AM UTC
Great pictures Jamal. It’s hard to tell but the wire coming out of the TIP box is yellow. You can see some differences on the storage on these pictures and mine. I have pictures of this M1A1 on the day it was issued to Nick and all the way through the end. Carnivore was one of the “overwatch” tanks when Saddam’s statue was pulled down by the M-88. My dio represented how the vehicle looked on D+8-9 as it was blowing through AFAK. I wonder what day these pictures were taken.

BTW I know for a fact that the sponson box next to the TC was filled with Baby Ruth bars and other pogeybait,

Thanks again
Frenchy
Visit this Community
Rhone, France
KitMaker: 12,719 posts
Armorama: 12,507 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 26, 2015 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I wonder what day these pictures were taken.

On April 6, 2003, according to the original caption :

http://www.gettyimages.fr/detail/photo-d'actualit%C3%A9/operation-iraqi-freedom-us-marines-of-the-3rd-photo-dactualit%C3%A9/109110041

H.P.
 _GOTOTOP