Hosted by Darren Baker
1/2 tracks in Vietnam
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 06:55 PM UTC
Was there any 1/2 tracks used in the Vietnam War (1965+)? Some people have told me there were, but I'm having a hard time confirming it.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 5,272 posts
Armorama: 2,844 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 22, 2004 - 11:32 PM UTC
We had quite a discussion about this some time ago when I built an M16 for the Cold War Cookoff. I had vets tell me they saw them there but no one here could come up with any hard evidence, either. Maybe someone can shed some new light on the subject.

Shaun
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 12:48 AM UTC
"Phantom Halftracks of Vietnam", sounds like the tittle of Indiana Jones IV :-) Seems like it'd be a great research project.
wolfsix
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 754 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:27 AM UTC
Hi guys

Some half tracks were used for convoy protection and base security in the early years of American involvment.

Wolfsix

matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 5,957 posts
Armorama: 2,956 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:32 AM UTC
I believe MOST of the Halftracks were used by ARVN forces........
c6o
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 64 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:37 AM UTC
1/2 trcks in the nam, during my 22months in the nam-have not seen any but do know the french had them in the first nam conflict-possibly the arvns could of had some, their assortment of equipment was out of this world...from old to new.
hope this helps
cheers
carpe diem
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:14 AM UTC
The only Halftracks in Vietnam were left over by the French and the North had them. There was never any halfs used by US or ARVN Forces. There was sightings of one as a museum piece around the city of Hue but it was only a display piece, no engine.
RonC
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 56 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 16, 2007 - 08:39 PM UTC
This is a reply to very old thread, but I found these URLs:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loupiote/99979782/in/photostream/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/loupiote/99979791/

RonC
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 17, 2007 - 12:12 AM UTC
That is an old French halftrack in a museum in N. Vietnam. Still no proof of anything.
Why revive an almost 4 year old post when there was a new one on the same subject just a couple days ago?

US halftracks in vietnam thread that had the same answer; no they were not used by US forces.
RonC
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:05 AM UTC
Gino,

I offerred it as no proof of anything. There is no indication of where the PAVN procured these half-tracks at the webiste, and I was not inferring that they were EVER used by the U.S. Army in Viet Nam. I simply was going back through old threads, and happened to see this one. While searching for other information the other day, I had come across these photos. They were given in hope that someone may have some information for those interested, which I am not. I did not even see the thread of which you speak.

Bottom line, Gino, why are you jumping on me for simply providing a reference? Is there a problem with that?

You have my email, should you wish to address this further (I purchased the Middle East ruins and the Chinese vehicle from you several months back).

Ron
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:18 AM UTC
I don't have a problem with you or anything like that. I was just curious and confused why you were posting them to this thread now. I guess I took it as you implying that they were proof supporting the use of halftracks by the US in Vietnam, thats all. No harm intended.
RonC
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:41 AM UTC
Gino,

I should have looked more carefully and found the new thread concerning this issue, and I would have seen the reference. I have never heard of anyone seeing half-tracks in use in Viet Nam. Although I missed out on that conflict by months, most of my cousins as well as my brother served there in many different capacities from about 1962 on. None of them had ever seen one, in use or not.

I actually came across that website while searching for photos of early VPAF MiG-21s (MiG-21F-13s).

My apologies to you! It's been an "interesting" day here in Northern Iraq!
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 04:47 AM UTC
No problem. I've had those days there too. Stay safe and keep your head down.
RonC
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 05:10 AM UTC
Thanks, Gino. I'll be home in Texas in just a couple more weeks.

Ron
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Friday, October 19, 2007 - 01:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Gino. I'll be home in Texas in just a couple more weeks.

Ron

Ron-- stay safe. We are all pulling and praying for your safe return.
DJ
trickymissfit
KitMaker: 1,388 posts
Armorama: 1,357 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 20, 2007 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

We had quite a discussion about this some time ago when I built an M16 for the Cold War Cookoff. I had vets tell me they saw them there but no one here could come up with any hard evidence, either. Maybe someone can shed some new light on the subject.

Shaun

I never saw a single half track while I was over there, but do know that the French used M3's.
The only piece of eqipment from WWII I ever saw was a B26K (Cam Rhon Bay) and a Japanese steam roller setting off the Tam Key road. They did use a lot of WWII small arms though (M3 grease guns, M1 Garands, and M1 & M2 carbines).
gary
 _GOTOTOP