_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Before Building
Ideas, concepts, and researching your next diorama.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Keep your eyes peeled
fuzzhead
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 71 posts
Armorama: 61 posts
Posted: Saturday, August 29, 2015 - 10:31 PM UTC
Got a plan in my head for a new diorama .

Set in the beginning of Operation Barbarossa, an ambushed German motorcycle and side car unit ,is being interrogated by a Russian recon unit, reinforced with 3 regular soviet soldiers, 1 of which is a nkvd officer. however they have just noticed that one of the Germans has hidden away ready to exact revenge and are trying to flush him out from behind cover.

my question is would it be ok for the recon to be wearing amoeba patterned suits with the regular infantry in the basic summer uniform or not ?

Also im looking to get a building, thats suitable for eastern Europe, and some sort of garden wall/fence ,i can construct to make it look like the motorcycle veered off the road, and smashed through so looking for advice and recommendations, on kits for those two buildings .
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,138 posts
Armorama: 953 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:16 AM UTC
A large building would probably take away from the story. Miniart do some ok vacform kits but I would try something on the cheap. A raised dirt road carved from high density styrofoam with coffee stir sticks for fenceboards - maybe with a bit of barbed wire, and the bike partially caught in the fence/barbed wire. You can make a hut from the same foam and add a thatched roof with cornbroom bristles, large paintbrush fibers or craft supplies. Maybe the German is hiding in the hut and they are flushing him out..Add a couple of home made signs to indicate the area and you are good to go. How about this for the figures?

http://thinkhobbies.com/1258-master-box-3590.html
OddBall84
Visit this Community
Netherlands
KitMaker: 335 posts
Armorama: 266 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 01:32 AM UTC
Sounds like the German recon units heading for Moscow coming only kilometers from the city limits before they were ambushed.
fuzzhead
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 02:57 AM UTC

Quoted Text

A large building would probably take away from the story. Miniart do some ok vacform kits but I would try something on the cheap. A raised dirt road carved from high density styrofoam with coffee stir sticks for fenceboards - maybe with a bit of barbed wire, and the bike partially caught in the fence/barbed wire. You can make a hut from the same foam and add a thatched roof with cornbroom bristles, large paintbrush fibers or craft supplies. Maybe the German is hiding in the hut and they are flushing him out..Add a couple of home made signs to indicate the area and you are good to go. How about this for the figures?

http://thinkhobbies.com/1258-master-box-3590.html

all sorted all ready im slowly working my way through that set

and the recon units are from ZVEZDA soviet recon team

i do like the idea of a hut or maybe a small farmhouse
fuzzhead
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 02:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sounds like the German recon units heading for Moscow coming only kilometers from the city limits before they were ambushed.

yeah maybe make a wooden sign post with moscow 10km or something
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 06:25 PM UTC
Sorry to say but the Germans got close to Moscow in the dead of winter and it was one of the coldest on record. Any dio this close to the city would have to be covered in snow and of course,everyone wearing winter suits.
J
TopSmith
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,742 posts
Armorama: 1,658 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 30, 2015 - 08:45 PM UTC
Maybe a small cart bridge over a creek and the german is hiding in the creek bed in the grass or under the bridge and your wall is by the road/ cart path.
 _GOTOTOP