_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
My Thunder Run M113A3
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 08:35 AM UTC
Almost done. A couple of tweaks to make. Then into a small diorama.

Cookiescool2
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 273 posts
Armorama: 270 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 09:23 AM UTC
Very realistic work, can't wait to see what you do with the diorama!
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 10:57 AM UTC
Looks great.
airborne1
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 915 posts
Armorama: 797 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 06, 2015 - 05:22 PM UTC

Very Nice work Robert.

Michael
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2015 - 07:55 PM UTC
I moved the M-16 to a better place - more handy to the map figure. This track is modeled from a real vehicle from the thunder run of April 5, 2001. Photos and descriptions were used from the crew. Two pics appear of the right side of this vehicle in one of the Concord books about OIF1.

This was the S-3 track and so carried the QEAM antenna on the right side. Pete Becerra helped immensely with the details and description. I scratched it and then covered up all of that work with the AFV Club camo net! But that is what the real vehicle did, so... I tried to leave some it showing - like the did in real life anyway. I may go back over the net and highlight to make it pop.

Because of the antenna, the crew could not mount the ACAV front shield on the .50 since it did not have the clearance. Also, they could only use one of the rear MG shields for the ACAV kit. I got that from Eduard.

Spent links for the .50 are from Live Resin. I wanted to show spent links and shells from the M240 as well and of course these had to be smaller. The shells were no problem - just smaller Evergreen stock. But what to do about the links? I decided they are so small that the detail was not important - just the depiction. So, with the many, many tiny grab handles on the Eduard PE set I decided to try and roll them in my fingers and see what shape they would take, and I found they rolled up nicely for the job.

The figures were outfitted just the way the crew was that day as well. The new gear issued to the soldiers for OIF1 was a head scratcher for some, so many times they used civilian gear, or pouches were stuffed with other things that were not meant for the pouch to begin with. I added pens and a flashlight, and black zip ties like the real guys had stuffed into the straps and a lefty holster for the TC. Tough to see once in the hatches but the real crew will see the detail when they see the model.

The updated model with a few detail pics tossed in.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, September 07, 2015 - 10:15 PM UTC
Looks great Bob. You did an awesome job on it.
historianmodeler
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 62 posts
Armorama: 62 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:18 AM UTC
Nicely done
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 12:54 AM UTC
Thanks everybody.

Note that on the left side I used an incorrect code. For the most part I used leftover Echelon tank decals for 1-64 Armor Regigment, which fit the job nicely. But tanks, M113s, Bradleys, and all other types of vehicles had their own shipping codes. That is what the "QT_" codes are for. QTA is for tanks. QTB for Brads, QTCs for M113 and so forth. Each individual vehicle then had its own number after the letter code. I used a tank code on the left side since I ran out of the right kind of Cs, but the rest is correct. My intent was to either cover up the offending letter with stowage or weather it. So far I have not gotten around to that. I have it correct for the front hull, but...

Besides that addition/correction, I need to make a hand held GPS for the major manning the M240. It was usually lying on or near the mapcase. I keep forgetting to do that too.

I may add some dust colored rain streaks later as well, to add to the other streaks. I will wait until later. I want to get to the diorama part now.
35th-scale
Visit this Community
Kildare, Ireland
KitMaker: 3,212 posts
Armorama: 2,807 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 01:51 AM UTC
Great build....I love all the tiny details!
Sandbox
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 350 posts
Armorama: 158 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 05:40 PM UTC
Very nice build, detail and written description. Will you be able to bring this model up to the Armorcon show 9/25 or 9/26 in Danbury, CT?
Tankrider
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 1,280 posts
Armorama: 1,208 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 08:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Besides that addition/correction, I need to make a hand held GPS for the major manning the M240. It was usually lying on or near the mapcase. I keep forgetting to do that too.

BN XO or S-3?? My guess is the XO Nice work on the PC & its crew. On a professional note, you need to branch out a bit on your modeling, you are stuck in the 2003 timewarp - Hopefully I will see you and your work in Danbury.

JC
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 11:18 PM UTC
BN XO. I know I know. I just keep meeting guys and being inspired by 3rd ID. John. That is cool you will be in Danbury. I hope to be there.

Actually, I did a Syrian T-72 wth a scratched turret interior right before this build. I don't think I posted any pics of it.
 _GOTOTOP