Armor/AFV: Modern Armor
Modern armor in general.
Hosted by Darren Baker
T-62 Gunnery, US style
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 01:25 PM UTC
Interesting article in the Jan-Feb issue of Armor magazine. Apparently, NTC trainers from the 11th ACR are assisting the Afghan Army in tank training using their old T-62s. For those of you who served back in the day when the T-62 was one of the more dangerous targets you would be engaging, it's kind of interesting to see US style tank crew gunnery skills training being used on T-62s.

Apparently they were sent from Romania with a Romanian mobile training team consisting of soldiers from Romania. Many of the Afghan tankers have been fighting with the T-62 for years as well.
ZoomieE7
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 145 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 02:19 PM UTC
Tango-62, yuck! Low profile, yeah, but when you have to elevate the tube so the loader can get the next round in the breach; talk about a "please, shoot me now" profile on the battlefield! But, then, I always thought Denzel Washington's "friendlies, turn on your lights" was a shot of pure brilliance, even though it was Hollywood! Charlie-Mike, Rob
Puma112
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 322 posts
Armorama: 183 posts
Posted: Friday, January 23, 2004 - 04:18 PM UTC
I can still remember those day when I was fully expecting to see one come up to the gate! It's a strange, new world we are living in!!!! One the other hand, they do make GREAT targets for A-10'S! Always love your hogs!

Tracy
Alpenflage
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,120 posts
Armorama: 1,002 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:16 AM UTC
Very interesting article, Maj G. Thanks for sharing this.

Cheers !!

Robert
warhog
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 568 posts
Armorama: 398 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 06:46 AM UTC
hey great news opens up some ideas for building that old tamiya kit,you got any pictures of them?thx larry
 _GOTOTOP