_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Meng Pickup/Trumpy PMC set in AFG
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
KitMaker: 43 posts
Armorama: 42 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 08, 2015 - 10:46 PM UTC
Used the Meng pickup with Accessories as well as the Trumpeter "PMC in Iraq" figures.

All scratch for the dio.
Everything's been hit with matte spray, but still real shiny in intense sunlight.

Still lots of work to do, but tons of fun and the pics really help me identify problem areas the MK-I eyebulb doesn't pick up.

Any comments/tips appreciated.

Cheers,
HS
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:11 AM UTC
Hey Paul,
Nice work.
Used the PMC kit myself.
Your very right that once you put it on a computer you notice more.
Just a few things, and I totally understand your not finished.
Are you adding any foliage to the tree? Not sure about the multi colors on the exposed brick,I think one ,maybe two.The guy at the pickups door seems to really be doing nothing.If I recall,he's supposed to be a diplomat with a briefcase.Also the center figure has his hand back telling someone else to stay back.May want to rethink the figure placement?
Try Tamiya TS-80 for a flat spray, lately I've found this better than say Dulcote.
Looking forward to more photos.
All in all,I think it's looking great.
The only thing that really matters is that you still have fun and take any comments with a grain of salt(what ever that means)

Tom
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:26 AM UTC
In addition to the above...

You may want to relook the scale of the building too. The doors are way too low. It looks like it is supposed to be two stories, but is only about the height of a one story building in 1/35.

I also agree on the color of the bricks. In A'stan, pretty much all the bricks are a locally-made, baked sand/clay mix and are a sandy color. You will only see other color bricks (usually red) on large government buildings built mainly in the Soviet era. Common houses and buildings are all made out of the locally-made sand colored bricks.

Also, what is up with the roofs/awnings? They look like rusty metal, but are laying like cloth.

Lastly, the barrel on the M240 on top of the truck is bent down.
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 05:26 PM UTC
Thanks HeavyArty & Parrot!

Great food for thought, I've got some good stuff to tweak here.

Hopefully I get a chance to get on it this weekend, I'll post up any improvements I can make.

Cheers,
HS
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 06:25 PM UTC
Lots of nice work so far!! Really taking shape now.
J
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 07:07 PM UTC
Thanks all.

I've made a couple adjustments with regards to layout before I tackle some of paint issues with the awnings and brickwork.

I've set the diplomat as if he's exiting the large door, and set the red hat guy as if he's gesturing for diplomat to follow. I also turned the truck around, and it seems a little more cohesive to have everybody aiming the same way in this case.

(I can't do much about the scale of the buildings as I had my daughter design them, and I didn't really take the necessary time to scope out the door heights.....a good reminder not to skip that step next time.)

The kid was nice enough to give me some veggie boxes and barrel out of her Blackdog stash, so I'm more than willing to let a door or two slide. JK

Thanks again for your input guys, I appreciate the notes.

Cheers,
HS
zorrolobo
Visit this Community
Distrito Federal, Mexico
KitMaker: 1,457 posts
Armorama: 1,440 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:14 PM UTC
on the vegetable stand I would add a couple of fruits or vegetables so that the two boxes don't look exactly the same, thus loosing realism. A couple of tomatoes or oranges should do it.
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

on the vegetable stand I would add a couple of fruits or vegetables so that the two boxes don't look exactly the same, thus loosing realism. A couple of tomatoes or oranges should do it.

Good idea, zorrolobo.

I'll see if she'll trade me up for another box.
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 02:27 AM UTC
Much better Paul.
Have to ask. How old is your daughter that she has a Blackdog stash? Wish mine had one.
As for doors, I always use a standing figure and mark were the top of the door should be. Also width.

Tom
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Much better Paul.
Have to ask. How old is your daughter that she has a Blackdog stash? Wish mine had one.

Ha....She'll be 10 next week.
I figure if she's going to be into modeling, she might as well enjoy it with good stuff instead of being frustrated by junk.

She always has to come with me whenever I go to see MadModeler "Aka Dixons Hobbies" for a model run.

Might as well soak it up before it's all boys & makeup.
Jay_Antony
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 73 posts
Armorama: 63 posts
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 03:02 AM UTC
The pick-up's colour scheme looks really good. Great dust effects and like the single wiper arc detail. What paint did you use for the main colour on the pick-up?
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 05:27 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The pick-up's colour scheme looks really good. Great dust effects and like the single wiper arc detail. What paint did you use for the main colour on the pick-up?

thank you for noticing....the missing wiper is the "fun" detail I added because my floor ate the wiper.
I hate to admit it, but I sprayed the body with the Krylon 44291 Khaki.
(don't have an airbrush)

That being said, I run my spray-can like a chef you see on TV...I spray from far away/different angles....the family has a good laugh when I'm painting.
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Lemons!
HammerSandwich
Visit this Community
Nova Scotia, Canada
Posted: Friday, September 11, 2015 - 02:28 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Also, what is up with the roofs/awnings? They look like rusty metal, but are laying like cloth.

I'm going for a cloth look, but am having trouble with colors.
Totally stuck on this one, but would love suggestions for the paintbrush to follow.
 _GOTOTOP