Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Warrior Iraq 2003
brodiebear
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 03:16 PM UTC
The Warrior is the Academy Minicraft Warrior IRAQ 2003, this took me a quite a time to build as only had a few hours a week to complete it. No major issues with the build apart from the netting they supply to create the mesh screens on the rear turret bustle, I could not find anything that would glue this material to the plastic, tired all the top brand super glues, but in the end the £1 for a set of 6 bottles of superglue from pound land did the job, nasty stuff though.

I decided to add some baggage onto the side of the model and for this I used the superb set from BlackDog, they are brilliant pieces of resin, with wonderful under cuts between the webbing and the actual items stored within. The bags and other items were all hand painted after the whole piece had been coated in Olive Drab, and then suitably weathered with dark washes followed by Mig Pigments. These were put aside to be added at the end of the build

The Warrior was undercoated with Grey Primer from Vallejo and once dry had its first coat of yellow applied, building up the paint layer by layer, this was then left to dry for 24hrs. There are loads of photos on the internet of these vehicles in Iraq showing them with most of the desert coat missing, looking like they have been sand blasted, so in an attempt to recreate this I applied green paint over the sand layer using different sized pieces of scouring sponge, once happy the whole model received a coat of US desert wash, most of which was removed with a wide brush, kitchen towel and cotton buds. The vehicle received further weathering using pigments and washes until I had the effect I wanted. The crew came from Blast Models in France and were painted using Vallejo acrylics.

1/35 Warrior by Steve Brodie, on Flickr

bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:00 PM UTC
Good job Steve. But in my opinion, the green undercoat should appear more to enhance the contrast.
Just my two cents.

Olivier
brodiebear
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 90 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 09, 2015 - 04:53 PM UTC
Thanks very much, it is a bit darker in the flesh.
 _GOTOTOP