_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
Help for a starting figure painter.
Twentecable
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
Armorama: 31 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC
Hi guys,

painting figures never have been my thing. To be honest I only have painted to complete figures in all my years of modeling

Well its never to late to learn so I picked it up again. The figure is from Tamiya s King Tiger set. I guess usig a resin head is the first step for improvements... I painted the face with accrylics. Somehow I feel like the eyes are to big and the fellow is high on some of the famous German pep pills used in WW2 combat.
Well anyways all advices and comments are welcome.

Twentecable
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Thursday, September 10, 2015 - 10:20 PM UTC
Ok new close up with more focus on the figure
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 05:55 PM UTC
It looks like you have the size of the eyes correct. The problem is the pupils. They are too low in the eye,giving the look of huge surprise. If you narrow the eyes they will look good. But "close" the eyes from the top with a bit of eyelid using a medium flesh tone?
J
Twentecable
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 06:30 PM UTC
Hi Jerry, thx...
I was also considering giving the whole face (inclusive the eyes wich are bright white) a filter with burnt sienna... Could that help?

gr TC
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 08:57 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jerry, thx...
I was also considering giving the whole face (inclusive the eyes wich are bright white) a filter with burnt sienna... Could that help?

gr TC

A red-brown wash will give it a bit more life, as the skin tone is very sallow (I suspect burnt sienna will be too gray, though). It will also go a good way toward giving the face dimension without going to the extent of highlighting and shadowing every contour, and then blending, as dedicated figure modelers do.

And you should definitely lower the upper eyelid so it cuts off the top edge of the iris, to avoid the stunned and surprised look. An alternate workaround is simply to paint the eye as a dark line, since men in bright sunlight squint, and often that is all you see from forty or fifty feet away.

If you're interested in more advanced techniques, these books will help:
http://www.amazon.com/Realistic-Military-Figures-Modeling-Handbook/dp/0890241252/ref=pd_cp_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=047HJHWBFN5H80JCQM2A
and
http://www.amazon.com/Bill-Horans-Military-Modelling-Masterclass/dp/1872004091/ref=pd_sim_14_5?ie=UTF8&refRID=0WZ2YE9WGQ8TSN6V9JCH&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR214%2C320_
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 12, 2015 - 09:23 PM UTC
Not a great figure painter myself, but very slowly getting better.
Gerald is right. A red brown wash will help to blend and highlight the face. I've found that doing the wash and then after a few minutes a soft dry brush tends to help blend more.

Tom
Twentecable
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:46 AM UTC
Thx, Tom and Gerald. Iwill try out the advises and post them here.

gr TC
Twentecable
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

(I suspect burnt sienna will be too gray, though).

Hi what colours would you advice to make the red brown?

I got some books and vids on the subject... but well I guess practice helps more then reading books :-)

gr TC
Twentecable
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
Posted: Sunday, September 13, 2015 - 12:54 AM UTC
gr TC[/quote]

http://www.amazon.com/Realistic-Military-Figures-Modeling-Handbook/dp/0890241252/ref=pd_cp_14_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=047HJHWBFN5H80JCQM2A
quote]

I have this one lol
 _GOTOTOP