_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: British Armor
Discuss all types of British Armor of all eras.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Sherman M4A3E8
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,667 posts
Armorama: 1,116 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 02:12 AM UTC
Hi all
Could anyone tell me if the above Sherman served with the British army in late WWII?
TIA
Pete
Mahross
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 837 posts
Armorama: 132 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:33 AM UTC
As far as i am aware the answer would be no. This version of the ank was introduced by the american in an attempt to deal with german armour but the brits already had the firefly which could deal with german armour. It may have been tested as i think there is one at the Tan Museum i canadian marking, who also may well have used it postwar.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:38 AM UTC
No.

Almost all M4A3-series Shermans stayed in U.S. hands. A handful (7) of the mid-production M4A3(75mm)Wet were given to the British for test purposes.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:23 AM UTC
Thanks guys for your replies.
can anyone tell me anything about the DML M4A3E8 kit?Quality and buildwise?
Also the Archer transfers 6th armoured division decals,what period are they for as I fancy doing a late WWII version?
TIA
Pete
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 02:34 AM UTC
There's three different boxings of the DML M4A3E8 Rice's Red Devil kit. The original boxing included the Italeri lower hull and you had to slice off the VVSS suspension mounts and glue the HVSS suspension on without any positive locating guides.

The kit was then reissued with a resin lower hull that had mounts for the HVSS suspension. This was the first DML Sherman kit I got. Rather decent build, but the HVSS tracks are tricky to build. After handling a bit, the plastic HVSS came loose a few times from the resin hull. Also mine did not turn out so well since I was basically a newbie to individual links way back then. This resin hulled version is sort of considered a collector's item.

The most recent reissue has included a new plastic lower hull to use. I bought one of these to re do the kit. I would imagine that it will turn out better since I'm more experienced with individual links and the plastic hull will hold onto the plastic HVSS better.

Not a bad kit, the same stages occurred with the DML WW2 M4A3(76)W HVSS Sherman as well.
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 03:46 AM UTC
Thanks Sabot,much appreciated.
As the decals are for a Korean war version and the box art shows a tank with a red mouth and eyes is there any way of telling which version of the kit it is?
Regards
Pete
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 04:44 AM UTC
The biggest difference between DMLkit 9009 -- M4A3E8 (Korean War) and DML kit 9010 --M4A3 76mm (W) HVSS (WWII) are the tracks. The Korean War version (with the eyes and teeth on the box art) has T80 tracks; the WWII version has T66 tracks. Both types of track were used in World War II. Also, I think the Korea version may have a telephone box for the rear which would not have been on the WWII version.

Those Archer markings would be fine on either model.
Sabot
KitMaker: 12,596 posts
Armorama: 9,071 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 04:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Sabot,much appreciated.
As the decals are for a Korean war version and the box art shows a tank with a red mouth and eyes is there any way of telling which version of the kit it is?
Regards
Pete

DML kit #9009, original one with Italeri lower hull
DML kit#9009X, same kit with resin hull added. Sticker on the box side has a notation for a resin hull included.
Shanghai Dragon kit#6811, latest issue with corrected plastic lower hull. Has blue on the box logo.
 _GOTOTOP