_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Best 35th sd.kfz.222 kit?
jwest21
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 3,374 posts
Armorama: 3,126 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 04:11 AM UTC
So what are your opinions on the best 35th sd.kfz.222 kit? Hobbyboss, Bronco, Tamiya or Tristar. I was thinking about getting one but wasn't sure which offering was the best. Thanks.
panamadan
Visit this Community
Minnesota, United States
KitMaker: 1,513 posts
Armorama: 1,449 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 04:34 AM UTC
And who makes the best Sdkfz 221, while we are on this topic?
Jason, here is a Tristan review- http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/vehicles/tristar/tri35043.html

Dan
johhar
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 476 posts
Armorama: 447 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 05:29 AM UTC
I doubt anyone has built all of them. A long time ago I build the Tamiya 223 and 222. Recently I built one of the HobbyBoss 221 variants and it was far ahead of the Tamiya. Bill Plunk on his site built a Hobby Boss 222 variant and it was clearly far ahead of the old Tamiya, which are older than the other kits and therefore sort of semi-obsolete. As for the others, see the PMMS comparison reviews; http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/subject/222.htm.
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 06:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I doubt anyone has built all of them. A long time ago I build the Tamiya 223 and 222. Recently I built one of the HobbyBoss 221 variants and it was far ahead of the Tamiya. Bill Plunk on his site built a Hobby Boss 222 variant and it was clearly far ahead of the old Tamiya, which are older than the other kits and therefore sort of semi-obsolete. As for the others, see the PMMS comparison reviews; http://www.perthmilitarymodelling.com/reviews/subject/222.htm.

I figure most people would chime in with one version and if there was any major issues, I'd scratch that off the list. Like I will do with the Tamiya one, based on what you said. I didn't see a comparison on PMMS, just something on the Tristar kit, the Tamiya kit and the 221s
panzerstike
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 36 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 07:07 AM UTC
Hello Jason,

The old Tamiya kits look very nice when built and with some TLC can be a very nice build. Tamiya has the best fit for building very good fit , the Tamiya parts are a bit thick compared to the other kits. There are very many After Market kits for the Tamiya kits. One of the major weaknesses in the Tamiya kit is the gun assy and the interior none. Hobby Boss makes very nice 222 and 223 and diff variations of both , not just by theater but by years they make the very early 222 with the flat roof not having the raised section over the driver. I like the gun assy better on the HB kits and they offer barrel variations in plastic. My major problem with the HB kits although the plastic is thinner and a bit more detail , but the fit is not as nice as T you need to be very patient when fitting the hulls together they appear almost warped but will fit fine just take your time. The Tristar kit is very nice in all ways but I have one major complaint it appears to me to be very Large more 1/32ish it is fine as long as you use it with larger figs not the smaller ones and not next to any other vehicles , if alone this is the kit you want. I find the HB kits to be your best buy just be patient on it. There is a ton of after market for the 222 kit , I like the laser cut cardboard screens by Kamizukuri they are very nice and come with nice straps n buckles for the add ons. Lion Marc makes the best 20mm barrel in my opinion but second is RB much cheaper and very nice also get the RB. There are many types of Tires for these ACs in resin so shop by probably a pic of what you want I like Hussar. It's the same stories for the 223 as far as I know only T and HB make these and same story as the 222 above. As far as the 221 as far as I know only bronco makes these and they make two or three diff versions . I truly like the Bronco kits great detail good fit many nice details in and out lots of fine pieces so be very Patient with the small pieces . The fit is good and the finished product is very nice I wish Bronco would make the 222,223 and the 260s . No one makes 260s I wish. My only prob with Bronco is the way the tires fit to the rims you need to be very careful on the fit before you glue them, I use after market tires on these and the Kamizukuri screens on all these models . So I suggest you do the HB and Bronco kits unless your old school and do not like fidly the Tamiya kits are the easiest to build. If you have any particular Qs you can Email me ( panzerstikeATcomcast.net ) and I will try to help more. Hope this Helps .Have fun with your build.

Brian
jwest21
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 16, 2015 - 07:32 AM UTC
wow, thanks! I emailed you a question on the barrels
ziggyfoos
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 03:26 PM UTC

Quoted Text

As far as the 221 as far as I know only bronco makes these and they make two or three diff versions

Hobby Boss has the 221 out too now
C_JACQUEMONT
Visit this Community
Loire-Atlantique, France
KitMaker: 2,433 posts
Armorama: 2,325 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 17, 2015 - 05:23 PM UTC
Brian,

Thanks a lot for the analysis, much appreciated info.

Cheers,

Christophe
 _GOTOTOP