_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Large Scale
Dioramas with large scale (1/16 plus) subjects.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Russian Steppe Ukraine 1941
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 27 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:51 AM UTC
Hello everyone!! This is the first time completing a model diorama, and the first time using this website. I do look forward to everyone's comment, whether they be constructive, critical, praising, or whatever. I am just interested in what you will think about it. I just hope I don't make anyone throw up because its bad. Thanks for looking

This diorama took 3-4 months to complete, which does not include the models themselves. I got the inspiration from my fascination with the Eastern Front and the subject of WWII. It depicts unit Abt. 191 attached to the Sixth Army as they blitzkrieg across central Ukraine in the initial weeks/months of the infamous Operation Barbarossa. This scene in particular shows the common motif throughout Ukraine, which would be tank combat in vast wheat fields. This is my first attempt doing something like this.
The diorama itself is 16"x20"
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 07:52 AM UTC

I forgot to add the photos!!
ShermiesRule
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 5,409 posts
Armorama: 3,777 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 08:13 AM UTC
More pics of the firefight im the grass
Removed by original poster on 09/23/15 - 04:07:16 (GMT).
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 09:47 AM UTC
I didnt mention that the diorama is 95% complete. I still plan to add a few things like black smoke plumes and more grass/wheat. Any suggestions are welcome. Will add more photos later
deathdork
KitMaker: 314 posts
Armorama: 296 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 10:39 AM UTC
Don't be discouraged by this comment, I would suggest using a flat coat on the figures. The gloss on the helmets and uniform distract from your composition. Keep having fun!
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 10:48 AM UTC
I concur with deathdork ... the shiny figures need attention.

This is headed in a good direction ... keep going!

—mike
gastec
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,042 posts
Armorama: 871 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 10:56 AM UTC
I like the use of cotton for the smoke coming from the BT-7, but think you need to lose it for the exhausts on the StuG.
Deathdork's suggest about a flat coat on the figures is a good one - otherwise a nice little scene you've created there

Gary
ppawlak1
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 1,973 posts
Armorama: 1,843 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 01:40 PM UTC
Nice composition Joe

I really like some of those photos and the distant smoke in those pics.

As mentioned by the guys above, tone down the gloss on those figures by using some flat clear coat.
Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 04:08 PM UTC
Hey Joe....,
Nice one! For a first dio it's good, that grass must've taken an age to 'plant'. Looks like you may have shaded it with different tones which looks good.
Maybe afew suggestions, the 2 German figures in the grass on the left hand side, the grass looks too squared off, instead of being flattened in an irregular pattern? Also, perhaps to break up the monotony of the grass, have a small group of trees, or even one, or a cluster of small rocks, just to add to the interest & detail. There's many tips & ideas on this site, & YouTube to create things like that.
Good start though.....well done!

Simon.
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 22, 2015 - 06:13 PM UTC
Cool dio, and several of the background shots really lend a sense of action to your scene! Along with the other suggestions noted, the mesh screen on the Russian tank should be the same color as the tank with a bit of rust/exhaust color to it, not that silvery sheen. But overall, it's looking good!!
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 06:24 AM UTC
Just wanted to drop a quick thanks to everyone that replied to my post, I plan to implement the suggestions you guys have. I agree that the helmets and figures should get a dull coat, but I plan to keep the diorama strictly "wheat" or grass. I will add more photos with better lighting, and hopefully I get my airbrush replacement in the mail so I can start painting again.
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 23, 2015 - 03:53 PM UTC
kool..i see a stug III f8 in the bottom pic...if thats the one that took out the russian tank..maybe put an empty 75mm shell casing on the back of the stug.
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 06:07 AM UTC
So I accidentally deleted my original album
But, I was able to take some better pictures so I guess its fine. I plan to add more grass, I have a bag of Woodland Scenics coming through the mail, and hopefully I get my replacement part for my airbrush so I can start painting again. until then, I have taken some more detail pics and flat coated the models.

P.S. I am having trouble uploading pictures to KM Gallery. It says I do not have enough disk space when I only have 6 photos in my gallery. Before I had 15. Can someone help?
justsendit
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 3,033 posts
Armorama: 2,492 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 06:32 AM UTC
PM sent.
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 07:23 AM UTC
Got it

That is not real blood

This diorama takes place near Uman
RECON22
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 665 posts
Armorama: 652 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 03:18 PM UTC
Hi Joe, loving this dio mate....just a little nit pick from me as I'm fussy with my figures is your seam lines running down your figures legs/arms..! Just a bit of scraping off with a blade and they will look great (er). Cheers, Jason
awd261
Visit this Community
Drome, France
KitMaker: 24 posts
Armorama: 23 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 26, 2015 - 11:16 PM UTC
Hi Joe,

nice job, and the dio tell the story.
With a bit of black and white :

Cheers Alex
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:04 AM UTC
Hi guys,
I would like to get some opinion on whether I should add these guys to my diorama

and possibly replace my current figures to lend the scene more action and spontaneity! As you could tell, I like Masterbox for their Eastern Front series, which has great poses that tell a story. In the case of the Soviet Marines, I could put together some spare tamiya Russian infantry with Masterbox to make correct uniforms.

I also would like to know where stug crews would eject spent shells on Ausf B. model. Which side would the shell be next to the tank, since the stug just dispatched the BT-7? I am still refining the diorama and adding little touches here and there since I am not completely satisfied with it, so any suggestions are welcome.
Deitrich
Visit this Community
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 20 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:57 AM UTC
I think its pretty good the way it is, kinda random. IMHO you don't want it too crowded, maybe a couple more figure.

I agree, Masterbox have some good stuff. They do a lot more action poses than Dragon.
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, October 10, 2015 - 04:11 AM UTC
Hi everyone,
This is a quick update on the final changes to my diorama. I had planned to make a video like this for some time so I hope you enjoy it. Sorry about the watermark, but I'm cheap.
http://vid1039.photobucket.com/albums/a478/Joe_Mannschaft/Mobile%20Uploads/Operation%20Barbarossa_zps0pqqxuc2.mp4
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 10:25 AM UTC
Hi everyone, this is my second to last post on this thread as I am finishing up my diorama. All I have left to do is to add a coat of buff to the models to make them look accurate to the location. I will post more photos in my last post, but for now I have remade two videos showing the progress I have made. I hope you enjoy and a quick thank you to everyone who looked at my first project!

http://vid1039.photobucket.com/albums/a478/Joe_Mannschaft/Mobile%20Uploads/Operation%20Barbarossa%20Redux_zpsmcaydkwk.mp4

http://vid1039.photobucket.com/albums/a478/Joe_Mannschaft/Mobile%20Uploads/Operation%20Barbarossa%20Edit_zps6jdk704m.mp4
Removed by original poster on 11/09/15 - 20:40:47 (GMT).
Joe_Mannschaft
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2015 - 01:54 AM UTC
Hi everyone!! Its finally done and I'm am quite pleased with how this diorama came out. Thanks for looking and feel free to leave any questions or comments.

alternate position

Molentik
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Monday, November 09, 2015 - 03:13 AM UTC
Very cool diorama!

One thing that caught my eye... shouldn't the grass behind the tanks bend towards the front of the tank instead of the back, unless the tank was driving backwards?
 _GOTOTOP