_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Allied - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Allied forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Aussie Chev finished
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 3,856 posts
Armorama: 2,984 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:07 AM UTC
Hi folks I did this conversion from the Tamiya LRDG truck to an Australian Army 30cwt Chevrolet General Service truck with a local built 'Holden' Body for the British/Commonwealth group build.. The camo is one of 7 types that the Australian Army had at that time (1942) depending on where the truck was based in Australia. Camo was in the main painted on by hand from local sourced paint supplies and the green of this truck is the original base color. The light stone could also have been light green in this sceme. The motor is a Verlinden GMC motor with the sump changed and scratch built mounts.

For the rivit counters this model is wrong in a few minor ways. ONE/ the wheels while the right type should be 17inch not 16 inch as on the model. TWO/ the front bumper protecter bar should be narrower and the plate with the formation #33 on it should be further towards the centre. THREE/ the bridge weight sign (yellow circle 5) should be mounted on it's own plate attached to the bumper bar on the RHS and not on the RF guard. FOUR/ the bonnet (hood) do not normally open this way. It is placed in this fastion so a glimse of both sides of the motor can be seen.

Hope you like it and any comments are welcome.

AIF 9 Division Tac sign - platypus over a boomerang

the nuts holding the two halves of the wheel togeather were ordered to be painted red so that when removing a wheel you did nt undo the wrong ones.

TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
KitMaker: 3,581 posts
Armorama: 2,782 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:20 AM UTC
Looks great Cliff.
Can you do a darker pinwash around the boltheads on that grill guard? That would make them pop out a bit more.Or even a rust streak down from them.
Graywolf
Staff MemberSenior Editor
HISTORICUS FORMA
Visit this Community
Izmir, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 6,405 posts
Armorama: 1,850 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 11:52 AM UTC
maybe some eyes can find some more minor problems if they really try to find but this is a very good convertion and it deserves a big Bravo more than critics.
Congrats Roo. I think you should write an article for this convertion and send it with photos to a modelling magazine.
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:03 PM UTC
Cliff, It turned out beautiful. Bravo and three cheers my friend
bracomadar
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 410 posts
Armorama: 0 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 12:59 PM UTC
Good job. I've been following this build for some time. It turned out REAL good. A toast to Mr. Roo and his Aussie truck too
lestweforget
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 2,832 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 01:32 PM UTC
Looks really good Mr Roo, our camo schemes really havent changed that much have they, cheers
cfbush2000
Visit this Community
North Dakota, United States
KitMaker: 1,796 posts
Armorama: 1,207 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 01:39 PM UTC
Man! That's one sweet looking truck Cliff. I like the open hood. Makes me want to redo my LRDG truck. You did a great job!
Chuck
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,221 posts
Armorama: 1,245 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 02:07 PM UTC
Excellent job Mr Roo. I have built, and tried to rebuild, that LRDG kit and I see how you've done some of the work, while others parts leave me saying, "how in the world did he do that." I think that is great work you've done and certainly prize winning quality. Color me green with envy.
kkeefe
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 1,416 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 02:23 PM UTC
Pretty cool there MrRoo!
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 02:46 PM UTC
Howdy 'Roo,

Jeez, everytime I look at his thing I am once again reminded of how you were able to so smoothly bend sheet to form that rear cover!.......as Maynard G. Krebe's used to say, that is very "copistetic'! (pardon my phonetic spelling).
As usual Roo, your truck's are truly enjoyable viewing!
Now, just some innocent input. And this coming from the mind of someone who 'thinks' in diorama's.
Why are both hood's open? Is it overheating, or undergoing maintenance? If not, I would pose it with only one side up. Less melo, and more dramatic.
Your wheel detail is superb. That includes the two coloured lug nuts. I'd add some pigments to bring out the seperation between the wheel itself and the tyre. And then, depending upon it's setting (again, thinking in terms of dio), add some pastel's for a lite dusting of road 'miles' Same thing with the rear of the cargo area.
Where is this truck stationed again?

Tread.

BTW. Did you take a mould of this one? I'm talking about the rear cargo bed area.
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Howdy 'Roo,

Jeez, everytime I look at his thing I am once again reminded of how you were able to so smoothly bend sheet to form that rear cover!.......as Maynard G. Krebe's used to say, that is very "copistetic'! (pardon my phonetic spelling).
As usual Roo, your truck's are truly enjoyable viewing!
Now, just some innocent input. And this coming from the mind of someone who 'thinks' in diorama's.
Why are both hood's open? Is it overheating, or undergoing maintenance? If not, I would pose it with only one side up. Less melo, and more dramatic.
Your wheel detail is superb. That includes the two coloured lug nuts. I'd add some pigments to bring out the seperation between the wheel itself and the tyre. And then, depending upon it's setting (again, thinking in terms of dio), add some pastel's for a lite dusting of road 'miles' Same thing with the rear of the cargo area.
Where is this truck stationed again?

Tread.

BTW. Did you take a mould of this one? I'm talking about the rear cargo bed area.

I will try to answer this one as best I can.

First thanks to you all for the comments on this. At times it was an %^$#$%% build.

the hood is open like that tread as I wanted to show a little of both sides of the engine as that was the bit that I spent the most time getting correct and I wanna see both sides of the &*^%$^& thing.......lol. I did it as a display model is the main reason both sides are up.

the rear deck. No molds were taken of this as it was the easiest thing in the world for me to build. I could do another one in about 3 hours of solid work. So no probs. BUT! I have a mate pressing me to do another as masters for him. So I will think about it.

I do have some pics of a heavy utility type body on this chassis, like a 6 seater station wagon. Local made body of course so anyone got a cheap LRDG chev kit or two out there for this cheapskate Aussie.

PS while the camo schemes have not changed much in the Australian army this camo was introduced in 1942 so I believe that the AIF was ahead of it's time in introducing it.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5,000 posts
Armorama: 2,868 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:41 PM UTC
Howdy 'Roo,

You need an LRDG Chevy?......you got it! Just PM me your mailing addy and it's on it's way mate!
I've got two sitting on the shelf to my left. The only thing I would like is a copy of your Aussie conversion if you make a Master, if that's alright?

Tread.

Actually, I might wait to see pics of that 6-seater :-)
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,876 posts
Armorama: 1,120 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 03:59 PM UTC
Very nice Cliff..looks great!
Kencelot
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 4,268 posts
Armorama: 2,804 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 05:02 PM UTC
Pretty darn slick Cliff. Very unique camo on a "different" Chevy.

I'm wondering what's on the cab's roof? I cant see it too well in the pic. Would it or could it be a 50cal mount? Or is it just a vent?
SOW1
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 289 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 06:32 PM UTC
E GADS!!!!!!!!!!! Cliff I cannot believe how amazing that truck is.. Once AGAIN you have proven that eventhough you may not have had as much time spent in the hobby as some of the others in this "family", that you are a WOLD CLASS modeler. HOLY SMOKES buddy I'm amazed.
Hollowpoint
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
KitMaker: 2,748 posts
Armorama: 1,797 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 06:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For the rivit counters this model is wrong in a few minor ways. ONE/ the wheels while the right type should be 17inch not 16 inch as on the model. TWO/ the front bumper protecter bar should be narrower and the plate with the formation #33 on it should be further towards the centre. THREE/ the bridge weight sign (yellow circle 5) should be mounted on it's own plate attached to the bumper bar on the RHS and not on the RF guard. FOUR/ the bonnet (hood) do not normally open this way. It is placed in this fastion so a glimse of both sides of the motor can be seen.

Well, that makes it absolute CRAP! Just kidding, mate! #:-)

This is very, very nice. My guess is that no one but you would know the "errors" in your build. Looks great to me -- so great I may steal the idea when I get around to building that LRDG Chev I have on the stacks (already did the LRDG version and looking for something new for the old chassis).

Can't wait to see what you build next. Uh, what are you building next?
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 07:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm wondering what's on the cab's roof? I cant see it too well in the pic. Would it or could it be a 50cal mount? Or is it just a vent?

Ken it is the Aussie gun hatch that is in the roof. Most of out trucks around that time had them. There is normally a pole up the side of the cab with a cross beam where a bren or lewis MG could be mounted. Maybe on the next one I may do it.

Quoted Text

-- so great I may steal the idea when I get around to building that LRDG Chev I have on the stacks (already did the LRDG version and looking for something new for the old chassis).

Can't wait to see what you build next. Uh, what are you building next?

You are welcome to 'steal' the idea and if I could help in any way just ask. What am I building next? I have a few on the go but I may just may do another odd ball Aussie truck. Maybe I will get my resin CMP 3 ton #12 cab back from the caster soon and do one of those as I have to put one togeather to check fit. Or maybe............what a lot of choises I have.....lol

Thank you all for your comments and this may be the first model I send to a competition type show. Our next one is in early March in Melbourne Victoria and a mate has offered to enter it for me.
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 153 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 10:23 PM UTC
I have heard you talk about this in chat alot. Seeing it complete is great. i watched it closely fo ra while now.
Although looking a tthe hood the way it is. It looks like it trying to flap it wings and fly off. #:-)

Seriously though great stuff. Maybe add a little chipping of paint and road dust.
Just a suggestion though It does look great the way it is

Paul
kkoori
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 42 posts
Armorama: 32 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:40 PM UTC
There ain't nearly enough Aussie/Kiwi models out there mate, well done on helping us take over the scale modelling world with your masterpiece.

"WTG"
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
KitMaker: 2,088 posts
Armorama: 1,257 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:56 PM UTC
Cliff,
My ANZAC buddy that truck is utterly amazing you should be really proud of the way it came out. I agree with paul there it looks like it could fly off lol #:-)
animal
Visit this Community
KitMaker: 4,503 posts
Armorama: 3,159 posts
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 02:59 PM UTC
Cliff I love your new Sig line. TRUCKS DO RULE!!
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Thursday, January 29, 2004 - 06:28 PM UTC
thank you Animal it was a take off of Croc's rule

Now I gotta laugh at myself and you guys/ladies too. I could not figure out what was wrong with the Chev. It did not look right to me at all and I been wondering about it since I posted these pics.

Like lightening it stuck me the other night. NO MIRRORS! I forgot the rear vision mirrors.
 _GOTOTOP