_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas
Do you love dioramas & vignettes? We sure do.
Thunder Run Diorama
Burik
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,437 posts
Armorama: 1,303 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:32 PM UTC
Here is my 1-64 AR, 3rd ID diorama depicting them during the first thunder run into Baghdad April 5, 2003. This vehicle was in the tail of the column, so many vehicles in front had gear and equipment shot off them. Also, enemy soldiers commonly removed their uniforms to try and blend in with the civilian population, so I depicted this by showing discarded clothing on the road side, and a gym bag in the grass.

HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 10:40 PM UTC
She came out great Bob. Excellent job. I like the precise placement of the mud/paint smear (QT_012), perfect.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:05 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I like the precise placement of the mud/paint smear (QT_012), perfect.

Me too, Gino!
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 6,149 posts
Armorama: 4,573 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:26 PM UTC
Bob---Outstanding. The figures look great
Great work-- although I would have better appreciated it if she had 3/64 marking.
Tuska Rules!
DJ
parrot
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 1,607 posts
Armorama: 1,581 posts
Posted: Sunday, September 27, 2015 - 11:50 PM UTC
Wow nice work Bob,

Great detail and painting. Figures are excellent.
Been thinking of doing a Thunder Run dio myself with a few Abrams ,M113 and Hummers from old ones.
Problem is size and space I'm running out of room. .
Very nice job on this.

Tom
obg153
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,063 posts
Armorama: 1,049 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 04:17 AM UTC
Really nice work!! The 113 has that "been busy workin'" look, and the debris along the road adds to the chaos that a swift armored advance creates.
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 07:11 AM UTC
Thanks folks.

During the thunder run lots of vehicles had stuff blown off them, so there was US equipment and gear lying around on the road. I interviewed the crew for this build and every detail depicted was on the vehicle. I had photos of the track, the mapcase, the crew exactly how they looked and what they had on that day, etc.

I scratched that large antenna and the brushguard on the right side roof and had to cover it up with the camo net since that is what they did. But I tried my best to show some details of the antenna, which happened in real life too.

Of course the sideracks were scratched too and I was able to get photos of both sides of the vehicles to depict the stowage the way they had it, including the sleeping bags used as protection on the outside portion of the large antenna. I would normally have hung the large rucks with dust covers flat against the sides of the track but photos showed them hanging as they are on the model - because they had the ruck frames attached, making them stiff, and so hanging oddly the way they are depicted. I made the frames and you only can see them if you study them from underneath, which of course do not show up in photos. But they are there!
chazman
KitMaker: 88 posts
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:12 AM UTC
Excellent piece!!
SGTJKJ
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
Armorama: 4,677 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:32 AM UTC
Awesome stuff!! Excellent job, Robert!
PaulBrickles
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 188 posts
Armorama: 173 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 02:37 PM UTC
Cracking build and diorama - love the book and this really shows it off.

Paul
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC
Nice job!! This really gives the look of authenticity with the crew stowage and debris/cast-off along the road. Love all the details on the track,like the spent 50cal links and brass. Nice job Sir!! Reminds me of watching Mike Kelly giving live coverage on a M113 during the Run on Fox News.
I assume you were there?
J
Burik
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 08:39 PM UTC
Thanks everybody. No, Jerry, I was not there. However, OIF1, and especially the thunder runs into Baghdad are sort of my specialty - if you will. I, and many others here, have been working on a museum display for this event, so I have gathered quite a bit of material over the years on the subject, and gotten to know many of the crew who were there. I am friends with two of the people depicted here, and that of course made it easy to pull this off in regard to detail.

As a result, I wanted to go all out on superdetailing this project, and I am fairly happy with the outcome. Those are the personal patches and awards from the major, who was in the back, that decorate the base.

One detail that seems to be overlooked by modelers - in my opinion - are the spent shells and links; at least for scenes depicting combat or just after combat. The dilemma for us all is not the depiction of the brass, but the links. In this case, I used Live Resin links for the .50 cal. Mission Models used to make them in brass but they were super expensive and you did not get all that many, and you had to fold/turn them too. Live resin is all ready to go, but there are no "holes" in the loops. I think at this scale they are not missed. Note, for the 240 there are no spent links in that scale, so I used the tiny stowage handles provided in the Eduard PE set for the M113 - I rolled them in my fingers and painted them black and that got the job done.

The spent brass and links are the one thing the vets mention over and over. It was everywhere and piled high during the thunder runs. At times during lulls they may have pushed the brass off the vehicle, but it all depended on the crew and type of vehicle, etc. I could write a book...

And somebody REALLY NEEDS TO DO AN UPDATED M113 KIT! Working with the mishmash of either the Tamiya or Academy kit is getting tiresome.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 01, 2015 - 11:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks everybody. No, Jerry, I was not there. However, OIF1, and especially the thunder runs into Baghdad are sort of my specialty - if you will. I, and many others here, have been working on a museum display for this event, so I have gathered quite a bit of material over the years on the subject, and gotten to know many of the crew who were there. I am friends with two of the people depicted here, and that of course made it easy to pull this off in regard to detail.

As a result, I wanted to go all out on superdetailing this project, and I am fairly happy with the outcome. Those are the personal patches and awards from the major, who was in the back, that decorate the base.

One detail that seems to be overlooked by modelers - in my opinion - are the spent shells and links; at least for scenes depicting combat or just after combat. The dilemma for us all is not the depiction of the brass, but the links. In this case, I used Live Resin links for the .50 cal. Mission Models used to make them in brass but they were super expensive and you did not get all that many, and you had to fold/turn them too. Live resin is all ready to go, but there are no "holes" in the loops. I think at this scale they are not missed. Note, for the 240 there are no spent links in that scale, so I used the tiny stowage handles provided in the Eduard PE set for the M113 - I rolled them in my fingers and painted them black and that got the job done.

The spent brass and links are the one thing the vets mention over and over. It was everywhere and piled high during the thunder runs. At times during lulls they may have pushed the brass off the vehicle, but it all depended on the crew and type of vehicle, etc. I could write a book...

And somebody REALLY NEEDS TO DO AN UPDATED M113 KIT! Working with the mishmash of either the Tamiya or Academy kit is getting tiresome.

Totally agree about the brass. I did a dug in 50cal vignette and piled the stuff almost up to the receiver. Great dio,once again,and the only thing I see missing are the flies!!
I agree also about the M113. I spent the first 9 years of my career in them and there is still no good model of the battlefield taxi and that vehicle was prolific for sure..Upgrades are needed starting with the gasoline powered version ,cav. version,etc etc.
J
 _GOTOTOP