Hosted by Darren Baker
1/72 airfix chieftan w.i.p
panzerIV
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 781 posts
Armorama: 676 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 04:56 AM UTC
So its been a long while since ive posted on here and i want to start off with a w.i.p of the 1/72 airfix chieftan, i managed to grab two of them off ebay for a good price. One nearly built and the other from sprue. Ive basecoated the model in humbrol light olive green and made a start with the stowage boxes on the front fenders and rear.

tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,847 posts
Armorama: 2,667 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 07:57 PM UTC
Welcome back to the Braille forum, Anthony. It's quite nostalgic to see the AIrfix Chieftain once again after so long. I believe that I've built half a dozen of them at least, including trying to convert one to a Chieftain 900. I'll be watching your progress with interest.

Cheers,
Jan
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:05 PM UTC
Hi Jan. You didn't go to CapCom last Saturday?
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Jan. You didn't go to CapCom last Saturday?

Leo,

I never been to Capcon and unfortunately my show days are at least temporarily suspended due to medical reasons. I am hoping to maybe be recovered enough to attend HeritageCon or BuffCon in the Spring of next year .
Cheers,
Jan
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 08:30 PM UTC
Sorry to hear that. Quick recover! The only shows I attend now is the local Montreal IPMS, and CapCom. Everything else is just too far.
panzerIV
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:30 PM UTC
Thanks Jan i do love my armour and im glad to be back doin bralle scale again . Though only think i never liked about the airfix kits was the tracks i always struggled with the most. These two will be a diorama the chieftan on the right is goin to need some filled and touch ups i think to bring iy to top condition. Can you sugest help with the tracks?

probably a silly question but has anybody ever tried to scratch build tank 1/72 tank tracks for airfix kits?

Sorry bad pic quality mobile phone. Will get a better light source next time
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 01:15 AM UTC
Quoted Text

Can you sugest help with the tracks?

With these particular tracks you are at least in luck as the side skirts will hide any joint. I used a small stapler to join mine although I've read about people sewing them together.

Quoted Text

probably a silly question but has anybody ever tried to scratch build tank 1/72 tank tracks for airfix kits?

Actually, firstcircle (Mathew L. of the U.K.) cast some tracks for his Airfix WW I tank a while back. There are a few aftermarket track out there but mostly for German, Russian and Sherman tanks.

Cheers,
Jan
panzerIV
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC
Would you glue the tracks to the bottom road wheels then to idler wheel and drive wheel? Then staple at the top? Whats your technique? Airfix tracks are like an achilles heel for me haha.

Is there a link for mathews castin of the ww1 tracks? Maybe get a few ideaas.
brains thinkin maybe very thin plasticard..??
tread_geek
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 01:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you glue the tracks to the bottom road wheels then to idler wheel and drive wheel? Then staple at the top? Whats your technique? Airfix tracks are like an achilles heel for me haha.

The tracks on my kits were somewhat tight so they moulded quite well to the suspension. I didn't use any glue on them so I don't know what kind will work (Cyano?).

Quoted Text

Is there a link for mathews castin of the ww1 tracks? Maybe get a few ideaas.
brains thinkin maybe very thin plasticard..??

The build of the WW I tank was five pages. You can find the track production starting on page three of https://armorama.kitmaker.net/forums/147362&ord=&page=3”
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:03 AM UTC
I did make tracks for a Hasegawa 1/72 Tiger

Hasegawa 1/72 Tiger

(Check the page for more pics: AxisArmor )

For the Airfix Churchill Crocodile, the tracks were so stiff I cut them into link and length and used CA glue

Churchill Crocodile

I was considering making tracks for the Airfix Scorpion but used the kit tracks in the end - not perfect but then what is?

Airfix Scorpion
panzerIV
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 10:35 PM UTC
Jan thanks for the link i think the cast would only work on the ww1 tracks due to there size might not be good for the thickness of the chieftan tracks though i have some instant mould i may try and imprint chieftan tracks on see if that works then using tabletop green putty.. but thats for a later time.
nick im liking your models nice job on the tracks

tonight il be update the body frame work for the hull to sit on after work two more hours then the next update
panzerIV
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 06, 2015 - 10:13 PM UTC
so i finally got around to doing abit more of an update last night, after the mrs and daughter were sound asleep recovering from stomach bug *touch wood* i dont catch it.

ive built the lower hull up but have left the hull top unglued for the time being,. as i plan to have this chieftan with a visible drivers head popping out. though i have a gap from the rear back engine plate to hull only minimal can be filled in.
pictures to follow having some trouble uploading pics to kitmaker gallery from phone.,

_GOTOTOP