_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
Tamiya T62, Death of a Shelf Queen
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 05:16 AM UTC
I've moved this kit more than 4 times, picked it up and fiddled with it a bit off an on, but finally got sick of looking at it there on the shelf taunting me.
Fruil tracks and mg
Model point co-ax mg and antenna
scratched rear hull fuel tank holders, moved the taillights off the fenders and onto the hull sides, added the APU exhaust, wired all the lights, added fender hinges and springs to the front fenders, added sprocket tensioners (lube ports?)and Trumpeter T62 log holder brackets.

More work than the old Tamiya kit really deserves, but I couldn't see to starting on this pile of Trumpeter kits until I put this one to bed.

For kicks I took it to Armorcon this weekend. I am pleased with the results, a pretty respectable 25.5/30 points in the intermediate class for a nice solid silver. And done before the silver anniversary of starting the kit.
Got a decent chuckle when the name of the build was announced.
bprice1974
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 196 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 06:23 AM UTC
Beautiful work and congrats on the well deserved medal. I was wondering if you will be posting additional pictures of this build on the website?
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 06:43 AM UTC
Thanks for the kind words. I'm sorry, but there is not much else to post actually. There are a couple of posts over in the Unfinished Buisness campaign, there in the last couple of pages. Not much of a build log really.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 1,846 posts
Armorama: 1,509 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 06:51 AM UTC
That's a wee metal beastie! Well done!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 07:01 AM UTC
A well deserved award. Congratulations! The weathering is spectacular.
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 319 posts
Armorama: 285 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:44 AM UTC
I have not seen tracks on the T-62 hung off of the hand rails--but I am happy to see that you have done so. I am now looking for extra track in my stash box! Thanks for sharing and a well done built.
Hwa-Rang
Visit this Community
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 6,760 posts
Armorama: 1,339 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:44 AM UTC
Excellent piece of work.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 05:08 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I have not seen tracks on the T-62 hung off of the hand rails--but I am happy to see that you have done so. I am now looking for extra track in my stash box! Thanks for sharing and a well done built.

David,
Thanks for the kind words. It's been an on again off again labor, glad to have it finished. Now I don't feel so guilty about building the newer Trumpeter T-62 kits.

There are some photos out there, falling mostly in the era before the BBD horseshoe armor package was added.

Here is one with the side dust skirts. Adding those would have added years if not another decade to the build -grin-
Though I did think of removing a fender. Having added the hinge, spring and mount details, I did not relish the thought of thinning the Tamiya fender, wisdom won out and I left it be.

It is a great time to be a modeler, we have all this instant access to photos of everything from anywhere.

Mike
rfbaer
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,866 posts
Armorama: 1,696 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 03:40 AM UTC
Very nice work, and congrats on a well-deserved gong.
I'm actually plugging along on the same kit, over in the "Whole Hog" campaign. It's fun.
Really.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 05:41 AM UTC
that weathering job is awesome!!!
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 05:08 PM UTC
Thanks Joe for the kind words.

Short version.
Base coat Tamiya Dr Green, let cure 5 yrs
Burnt Umber oil wash, titanium white and sap green drybrush, let cure 10-12 more years.

-remember back in the day when this was 'the state of the art'?-

The lower hull is a mix of 'earth' and 'dust' pigments held in place with white spirits. Wet the hull sides with thinner, sprinkle on pigments (heavily), hairdryer to dry, brush away to suit, fix remainder in place with more thinner.

Roadwheels, same with some enamel 'oil' from Ammo on a couple of hubs over the pigments to get the leaked grease effect.

Dust the dry upper hull with the same pigments, fix with thinner,dry with hairdrier, stump back into nooks and crannies. Fix again. This gets that thin layer of dust/dirt into the corners.

The turret was sponged with blackgrey Vallejo for chips, then sponged with thinned lighter greens across the crown on the turret and top of the barrel.
Dry with hairdrier.
Dust enamel product stippled over the turret with a sponge. Stippled over with a damp thinner sponge. Makes really nice varied dust effect.

Small amounts of pigment mix, lightened with more dust colors, around turret fittings, thinner, stumped into corners, fixed again.

Enamel engine oil around a couple of the fuel tank fillers, if you add dirt/dust pigment when it is wet, you will get a dirty fuel stain effect.

Tracks are Fruils, darkened with a blacken it bath. dusted heavily with a darker mix of the pigments, fixed with a thinned enamel track wash
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 06:30 PM UTC
Got a decent chuckle when the name of the build was announced. [Quoted]

Our judging team wanted to award an extra point just for humor.
Al
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 12:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Got a decent chuckle when the name of the build was announced. [Quoted]

Our judging team wanted to award an extra point just for humor.

Al,
I was judging at the table behind you guys when you were talking about the kit. It was hard not to eavesdrop, but I managed to stay focussed. -mostly-
I took the kit out for a beer afterwards.

Mike
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
Armorama: 859 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:50 AM UTC
I took the kit out for a beer afterwards. [Quoted]

It earned one! Al
PzDave
Visit this Community
United States