Question about GTK Boxer sgSanKfz
kopo77
Visit this Community
Wroclaw, Poland
KitMaker: 175 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:14 PM UTC
Hello
I have information that Boxer sgSanKfz have been used in Afghanistan. Is it correctly to add something extra like belly armour or equipment espetially for ISAF mission ?
Thank You for help
Chris from Poland
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 09:28 PM UTC
Hello Chris,

from picture source, 3 vehicles were deployed to Afghanistan. They are deployed with armour as presented in the model kit (ok, small differences, like the red crosses being on a dismountable plates unlike Revell where they are directly on the hull sides. Also, it seems to be the 4 warning beacons (orange and blue) on the roof were not fitted as well as their lamp guards which are way to thick in the kit).

Greetings
Andreas
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Monday, September 28, 2015 - 10:43 PM UTC
According this video,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxlXUlTwFF4

there are only two side mirrors fitted.

There are rolled up camouflage nets on both front sides and a stretcher on right side.

Also a box on the roof.

It seems there are two plastic bottles fixed on the front of the vehicle. What is the function of them ?
AKirchhoff
Visit this Community
Germany
KitMaker: 307 posts
Armorama: 304 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 01:12 AM UTC
Hi!
The rolls at the front are a modern towing device which is at all German ISAF vehicles mounted ready to use in an emergency. My guess is that the water bottles are used as a container for what we cll "knicklicht" in German. It is a chemical device that spends fluoresent light after being bent. Sorry, canīt describe it better in English. The US and Canadians also use it, sometimes also in empty plastic water bottles. BTW, I think I have seen the cartoons on this vehicle (on the reversed red cross plates)on the Revell decal sheet?

Andreas
terminators
Visit this Community
France
KitMaker: 1,932 posts
Armorama: 1,907 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 29, 2015 - 10:58 PM UTC
Thanks Andreas
brian638
Visit this Community
England - West Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 263 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 30, 2015 - 01:44 AM UTC
Hi Andreas,

Your English is very good, you are referring to cylumes (trade name) or chem light/sticks. They often use the IR ones in waterbottles.
 _GOTOTOP