_GOTOBOTTOM
Site Talk
Site announcements, comments, or feedback about the site.
Peer Judged Contest for Armorama
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 12:39 AM UTC
Based on the latest contest announcement here I was a little disappointed in how it will be judged. I am interested in hearing what other peoples opinion would be. In my opinion Armorama should have a peered judged (voted) contest like Aeroscale. Having it peer judged leads to a fairer competition in that the model is not arbitrarily picked by one person and a greater feeling of accomplishment when it is picked by your peers.

What is your thoughts?
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 01:51 PM UTC
Kevin, I think we should give it a chance; no doubt the arrangement is a kind of symbiosis between this site and the magazine, and if that means the competition can at least exist then that's no bad thing. Frankly I'm not sure that it is much less arbitrary than the voting in the previous competition was. People will still agree and disagree with the winning entry.
(This is my personal opinion, not related to my association with this site.)
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 02:21 PM UTC
I too liked the voting system that we used to have on DMOM. It was nice having a say in which model was the best, however that system was far from perfect as well...

I'm glad the competition is back, I think it is a win-win situation for both Armorama and SMMI. And an absolutely great oportunity for modelers to have their models published in a very respectable magazine.

I would say, let the competition begin!
Mario
Hederstierna
Visit this Community
Nordjylland, Denmark
KitMaker: 1,102 posts
Armorama: 1,018 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 04:43 PM UTC
I do agree with both Mathew and Mario. I too am very exited to see this contest back on the channel. Let's see how it turn out, and like every other contest; if we don't like it we don't join up, it's that simple.
Jacob
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 3,971 posts
Armorama: 2,859 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 05:06 PM UTC
While I agree it is great to have the contest back, I don't like the fact that an arbitrary decision will be made on what would best sell the magazine, as opposed to a good model. Again, I feel more satisfaction when my model peer groups think I have a great model as opposed to "it will sell magazines".

And being a magazine, they will more then likely be looking for models they know, ie from modelers that have been previously published in their magazine.

Also due to the "big" nature of the contest, it may scare away some people from entering, that would be more comfortable in a smaller more peer oriented contest.
Maki
Staff MemberSenior Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 5,579 posts
Armorama: 2,988 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 05:44 PM UTC

Quoted Text

an arbitrary decision will be made on what would best sell the magazine, as opposed to a good model.

Quoted Text

they will more then likely be looking for models they know, ie from modelers that have been previously published in their magazine.

This sounds a lot like a conspiracy theory. I'm sure SMMI would chose the winners well, even more objectively than we used to do in the former DMOM contest.

Quoted Text

it may scare away some people from entering, that would be more comfortable in a smaller more peer oriented contest.

Agreed, but the fact the contest gives you the oportunity to publish your work in a modeling magazine can take some of the reluctance away.

I think we should give it a try and see how it works.

Mario
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 491 posts
Armorama: 462 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 06:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think we should give it a try and see how it works.

I second that motion.

Chris
DKdent
Visit this Community
Rheinland-Pfalz, Germany
KitMaker: 182 posts
Armorama: 180 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 06:50 PM UTC
Hello,

I think it is not surprising that a sponsor of a contest asks for some rules to be considered in his way. As he plans to give away a prize, as far as I understood, it is only fair to get him some room for his own ideas. Of course he has to consider which model to publish in his magazine and which not: normal business. Finding sponsors in our somewhat not to mainstream hobby might be difficult, or at least I imagine it beeing difficult, so I am rather happy that someone stepped forward.

Quoted Text

Having it peer judged leads to a fairer competition in that the model is not arbitrarily picked by one person and a greater feeling of accomplishment when it is picked by your peers.

The above is a statement which takes some things for granted which I would dispute. I would have rather marked these sentences as an opinion instead of facts. I don`t think that peer-review neccessarily leads to greater joy and on the other hand peer review is not exactly the opposite of "arbitrarily".

I think that the proposal of this contest can be a very nice incentive to get active and finally finish some stuff. Enjoying the hobby, I guess. So, why not give it a try? You still can get feedback from your peers as this is a forum; even when the sponsor makes a decision himself people can get in contact and chat about their builds.

Regards

Dennis

Armored76
Visit this Community
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 1,615 posts
Armorama: 1,500 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 06:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think it is not surprising that a sponsor of a contest asks for some rules to be considered in his way. As he plans to give away a prize, as far as I understood, it is only fair to get him some room for his own ideas. Of course he has to consider which model to publish in his magazine and which not: normal business.

Amen brother! Exactly my thoughts...
AlanL
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14,499 posts
Armorama: 11,675 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 08:49 PM UTC
Don't see a problem with this.

Al
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 04, 2015 - 11:15 PM UTC
Members wanted a competition and we did the best we could with this one and I am sure there will be others. Let's just get this one running and see how and where it goes.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,249 posts
Armorama: 2,007 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 - 04:08 AM UTC
Maybe the prizes will arrive quickly to the winners' doors as well

By the way, did I miss this snippet already, but are Kitmaker staff permitted to enter? I've got a feeling it's going to be a no.
joepanzer
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 803 posts
Armorama: 740 posts
Posted: Monday, October 05, 2015 - 04:54 AM UTC
All members whose screen names do not include "joe" and/or "panzer" are ineligible!

I agree with the above postings. I think it's their mag, they should have the say. Sometimes I feel, though, a person's photography skills tend to hinder an accurate representation of the kit.
 _GOTOTOP