_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV
For discussions on tanks, artillery, jeeps, etc.
News
Abrams Squad: BTR Modelling Guide
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 11:46 AM UTC

A new Abrams Squad special issue is available, and deals with the Russian BTR family.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
Armorama: 2,070 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 09:17 PM UTC
Is there a designated US supplier?
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 11, 2015 - 09:56 PM UTC
Got it last week - another fantastic publication from the Squad. Keep them coming!
grunt136mike
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 1,896 posts
Armorama: 1,858 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 12:06 AM UTC
Hi;

VICTORY MODELS is one source and there are others.

CHEERS; MIKE.
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 01:59 AM UTC
Looks great and should be on the way soon, unfortunately the trumpeter 80A kits have two big errors that need correction: one gun port (first on the right side) should be eliminated and the driver has one extra vision port to his left which requires the modification of the body...
hanb7323
Visit this Community
Daejeon, Korea / 대한민국
KitMaker: 408 posts
Armorama: 407 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:10 AM UTC
Good direction IMHO. I would like to see various modeling analysis on the specific subject doing by various modelers like this issue. Expect Sherman, Panther, Tiger, BMP, halftrack and so on.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 03:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great and should be on the way soon, unfortunately the trumpeter 80A kits have two big errors that need correction . . .

I think you are barking up the wrong tree Jimbo. Look what they put on the cover as the attraction for potential buyers: "A special chapter focused on CHIPPING the paint". What goes on before the first coat of [insert brand name here] primer obviously isn't that important to the authors, publishers, or readers.

KL
JimboHUN
Visit this Community
Budapest, Hungary
KitMaker: 461 posts
Armorama: 443 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 04:57 PM UTC
Hi Kurt,

I see no barking here, maybe an opinion or rather an advice to anyone wanting to push this kit to a next level as the Trumpeter BTR-80A has some issues

Based on the cover + intro pages it seems to me that the articles involve a good deal of building as well. However it does not need to involve any DIY (which I do not do often either) especially as I assume these are sample kits.

Will see soon how it is as I am buying this for the painting portion.

Cheers,

Ps.: should you need any extra info on BTR-80/80A just let me know.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I see no barking here, maybe an opinion or rather an advice to anyone wanting to push this kit to a next level as the Trumpeter BTR-80A has some issues

You may know already, but that's an American idiom.

Quoted Text

Based on the cover + intro pages it seems to me that the articles involve a good deal of building as well.

I don't see that. While the models are perhaps constructed to a high level of skill, I don't see any evidence of a particular attention to building the models in the example pages:

Image 1/Cover - Completed models only with a particular emphasis on painting.

Image 2 - One smaller photo of a complete but unpainted model.

Image 3 - A half-page sidebar on what looks to be flattening tires, one-and-a-half pages showing painting steps.

Image 4 - Perhaps something there, but it looks to be, at best, a superficial set of photos on the generic use of PE.

Image 5 - Smaller photos of a complete but unpainted model.

Image 6 - 100% painting.

Image 7 - Completed model only.

I just don't see this magazine spending any effort addressing the types of corrections you mentioned, or how to overcome construction difficulties one might encounter with these kits.

It's fine that they choose to value the weather/finishing aspect of modeling to the near exclusion of anything else, but let's not kid ourselves about the content.

KL

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:49 PM UTC
One thing with all the Trumpeter BTR-60 kits (not seen the -70 or -80) which I have never seen corrected is that the plates which fit inboard of the wheel arches (i.e. which form the inner walls of the lower hull) have a significant gap between them and the hull tub walls. This is simply not there on the real thing but it is very fiddly to eliminate so nobody seems to bother. It is pretty visible though, particularly if washes are applied to a white interior or in the open-topped -60P. Other than that, the kits are great in my opinion.

Maybe this is the publication to address that. Or not....

Still, apparently the finishing is the fun part of modelling, so obviously I'm just not having fun fixing this stuff. Actually I'd like to reach the finishing stage but I don't feel happy to do so until the constructional stuff is, well, finished first.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 10:58 PM UTC
The focus seems to be on the latest fads in finishing, not anything on correcting/accurizing the kits.

I still don't get why the mag is called Abrams Squad?? Does anyone get it??
system
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 364 posts
Armorama: 363 posts
Posted: Monday, October 12, 2015 - 11:01 PM UTC
The articles are a mix of build, painting, diorama and reference, including vehicle histories, walk-arounds and in-action photos. The builds vary between straight-from-the-box to more involved detailing - but no major conversions. What the balance is between detailing and painting depends on the modeller. Neither of the BTR-80A builds address the features mentioned, but there's some excellent reference of these vehicles. Other builds do address correcting or detailing the base kits. So it's not accurate to say the magazine values the weather/finishing aspect of modelling to the exclusion of anything else
chnoone
Visit this Community
Armed Forces Europe, United States
KitMaker: 1,036 posts
Armorama: 1,033 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 - 02:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

The focus seems to be on the latest fads in finishing, not anything on correcting/accurizing the kits.

I still don't get why the mag is called Abrams Squad?? Does anyone get it??

Only thing that comes to my mind is the fact that the Australians organize their company size tank units in "Squadrons" .... maybe then their platoons are called "Squads"?
It probably just seems to be a advertisement thing ... or a mystery

Cheers
Christopher
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 03:48 PM UTC
Unlikely to be that. The Aussies follow British practice, so the subordinate unit to a sqn in an armoured unit (derived from cavalry days) is a troop. Squads are equivalent to sections in infantry platoons, so it's s mystery to me. Armies which use companies and platoons for armoured units don't have smaller units than platoon.
flugwuzzi
Visit this Community
Lower Austria, Austria
KitMaker: 633 posts
Armorama: 599 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 08:33 PM UTC
I like the Abrams Squad Magazines ... but If they do a so called "special on modelling" they should put a lot more effort into pointing out how to correct kit flaws and failures.

But nowadays it is all about painting and weathering ...

cheers
Walter
 _GOTOTOP