_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Tamiya M1A2
JoeyKast44
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:15 AM UTC
Hi I have two questions about the Tamiya M1A2, firstly is this model suitable with the aid of conversion sets for a Marine M1 serving in Helmand Province in Afghanistan and secondly what conversion sets would I need?
Foxtrot1
Visit this Community
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 234 posts
Armorama: 200 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 11:53 AM UTC
I am no expert on the Abrams, but I have looked into some advice that others have given.

Not sure about after market kits, but the Academy M1A1 Abrams Iraq 2003 kit has some very useful USMC parts (the barrel is too short, and the tracks are the older 1980's type in the kit). You can add those to the Tamiya M1A2.

Heavyarty could really be of assistance here, I have read some of his comments on the Academy M1A1. I honestly don't know more than that.
Removed by original poster on 10/15/15 - 07:00:24 (GMT).
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 12:57 PM UTC
Tamiya M1A2 OIF kit contains all the bits to do a USMC tank.
Turning it into a Helmand Abrams is another point I can't really help you with.

Olivier
Cuny12
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 378 posts
Armorama: 348 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 01:42 PM UTC
I believe the missile counter measure device was removed you will need additionally the bustle rack extension, ECM antennae loaders tusk shields for the 240, I'm also not one hundred percent but I believe they were fitted with the belly armour.
Check out perfect scale modelbau they have a set available that covers most if not all of the mods you will need.

Cheers Ben.
tanknick22
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 1,139 posts
Armorama: 1,100 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I believe the missile counter measure device was removed you will need additionally the bustle rack extension, ECM antennae loaders tusk shields for the 240, I'm also not one hundred percent but I believe they were fitted with the belly armour.
Check out perfect scale modelbau they have a set available that covers most if not all of the mods you will need.

Cheers Ben.

Ben you are correct and I have built a Marine M1A1 like hes asking about the Tamiya M1A2 kit does have all the parts needed for a Marine M1A1 but you will need a after market resin kit from perferct scale modelbau from germany that has all the Marine afganistan spacific parts
Kaigun
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 13 posts
Armorama: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 03:59 PM UTC
Hi Joey,

you need this conversion set:

USMC M1A1 Afghanistan

It's suitable for Tamiya or Dragon kits. Some minor cutting of kit parts is necessary.
JoeyKast44
Visit this Community
Australia
KitMaker: 144 posts
Armorama: 124 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 04:17 PM UTC
Thanks guys for the help just have to extend the bank account to buy the conversion.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 06:33 PM UTC
Voyager also does a USMC M1A1 in A'stan set. I just happen to have one for sale as well.

Modern USMC M1A1 TUSK 1 (PE 35417) Scroll down to Voyager.
Kenaicop
Visit this Community
Nevada, United States
KitMaker: 1,426 posts
Armorama: 1,316 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 10:03 PM UTC
Just got two of these sets about 3 weeks ago to finish off a couple builds that have been sitting for some time. Both sets were incomplete but did contain the parts I needed. One bustle rack extension was in way too many broken pieces to build, but again, I only needed one. The casting of the parts I did get was good, nothing to scream about but they were useable. The PE was very nice. My two cents worth.

Quoted Text

Hi Joey,

you need this conversion set:

USMC M1A1 Afghanistan

It's suitable for Tamiya or Dragon kits. Some minor cutting of kit parts is necessary.

GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 10:40 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I am no expert on the Abrams, but I have looked into some advice that others have given.

Not sure about after market kits, but the Academy M1A1 Abrams Iraq 2003 kit has some very useful USMC parts (the barrel is too short, and the tracks are the older 1980's type in the kit). You can add those to the Tamiya M1A2.

Heavyarty could really be of assistance here, I have read some of his comments on the Academy M1A1. I honestly don't know more than that.

Academy's M1A1 kit is okay for stealing some components, but beware of actually building one, as the turret is too short, front to back, because Academy just retooled their old M1/XM1 turret (a clone of Tamiya's original kit), without updating its dimensions. The real IPM1, M1A1, and M1A2 series turrets have substantially strengthened frontal armor, and the turret is something like eight inches longer overall. The Tamiya and Dragon kits are correct. And as mentioned, the Academy 120 mm gun is ridiculous-- the bore evacuator looks more like a beer barrel.
HeavyArty
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 17,694 posts
Armorama: 13,742 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 02:18 AM UTC
Actually, Academy updated the barrel to correct dimensions in the USMC 2003 kit. The whole new J sprue is really nice and has all the basic USMC parts you are looking for, plus a bunch of other nice parts. The only real issues with it are the too short turret and older T156 tracks. The tracks can be changed, but the turret length is still screwed.
 _GOTOTOP