_GOTOBOTTOM
Яusso-Soviэt Forum
Russian or Soviet vehicles/armor modeling forum.
T72a rear fuel tank setup question
kampfy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 198 posts
Armorama: 161 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 07:06 AM UTC
I'm currently in the process of converting the Tamiya T72M1 kit into a T72a. Now, I remember reading somewhere that the kit supplied rear fuel pump lines are not correct for the circa 1981 time period I want to depict the finished model. Does anybody know how the Soviet worked this? Did they use the old T55/62 unconnected style rear fuel drums? My references and picture banks are no help with this.

If anybody here could help my with this it would be great.
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 561 posts
Armorama: 553 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 06:14 PM UTC
Hi Matt,
I seem to recall reading somewhere that the plumbed rear fuel drums were a Polish or Czech. development so, no, they wouldn't in that case be appropriate for a T-72A. I'll see if I can find anything more definite.

Sean
seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:16 AM UTC
as is often the case I'm wrong. Quoting from Osprey NVG #6 "T-72 MBT"
" unlike earlier Soviet external fuel systems , the system on the T-72 A and later models are connected to the right fuel pannier system by means of hosing and a fuel pump, as seen here on a German T-72M1. This is probably a Czech. or Polish built example, as the Soviet configuration differs in layout." The photo shows the setup depicted with the Tamiya kit, what the Soviet system looks like is a mystery at this point.

Sean
kampfy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:28 AM UTC
Yeah, the osprey t72 book you mentioned along with the 1000+ pictures from prime portal and a Russian site whose url I don't remember offhand are my references. I wish I could remember the website that talked about the fuel pump system being a later addition to Soviet produced vehicles.

seanmcandrews
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 06:26 PM UTC
well, found a bit more. In Concord's old T-72 book there's an engine deck shot of a Soviet T-72, evidenced by the commanders "CA" shoulder boards,
with plumbed barrels. Looks like the Soviets used the same fittings, just attached to the barrel top rather than the side. And to prove you can never say never when it comes to their rebuild/retrofit program, the TankoMaster T-72 special has a photo of an early T-72 (TPD-2-49 rangefinder) with the same plumbed barrel setup.

Sean
kampfy
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 07:02 AM UTC
Well this looks interesting. I found a video on YouTube of some 1981 maneuvers and at the 39:00 to 39:11 mark we see some t-72's and looking at the rear fuel drums it looks like there are no intake hose setups at all. Anybody else on the forum agree?

link to video

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jp26nMJeTHU
 _GOTOTOP