_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Techniques
From Weathering to making tent rolls, discuss it here.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Gluing Individual Link Tank Tracks Together
fliegendpanzer
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 8 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 07:38 AM UTC
What's the best way to glue individual link tank tracks together? Tamiya Extra Thin just made a mess of things.
edmund
Visit this Community
United States
KitMaker: 668 posts
Armorama: 456 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:05 AM UTC
Try Testors liquid cement #3502 .
bison126
Visit this Community
Correze, France
KitMaker: 5,329 posts
Armorama: 5,204 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 10:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

What's the best way to glue individual link tank tracks together? Tamiya Extra Thin just made a mess of things.

Just working fine for me. Try a thicker glue but you'll have to wait longer before handling the track run.

Olivier
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
KitMaker: 11,610 posts
Armorama: 7,843 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Try Testors liquid cement #3502 .

I agree.
RobinNilsson
Staff MemberTOS Moderator
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 6,693 posts
Armorama: 5,562 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 01:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How did you apply the glue/solvent? I haven't used Tamiya Extra Thin but judging by the name it sounds as if it is almost pure solvent and then it should be applied in very small amounts.

I use nail polish remover which is mostly ethyl acetate
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethyl_acetate
and I apply it with the smallest available paintbrush and let it pull itself into the joints with capillary action.
/ Robin

Don't touch the joint with your fingers before the solvent has evaporated since the capillary action will pull the solvent into your fingerprints making horrible marks on the plastic ....
Langemarck
Visit this Community
Belgium
KitMaker: 20 posts
Armorama: 16 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 03:56 PM UTC
never had problems with Tamiya extra thin glue. maybe you're using too much of it, and then indeed it can become a mess
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:28 PM UTC
Same here,I have always used Tamiya Extra Thin,small amount to each link as I go along,not slathering the whole run at once.When the whole run is done,I wait about 30 minutes,then carefully flex it around the the sprockets and rollers and allow to dry completely for 24 hours,remove,paint,weather,and reattach.
TDZepp
Visit this Community
Keski-Suomi, Finland
KitMaker: 48 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 04:59 PM UTC
Thicker glue helps.
I use Tamiya limonette for everthing. After applying it I wait minute or so that the plastic soften and then put them together so they stick immediately. If its long set of links do them in parts and then glue all the sets together for the whole track.
Before the glue sets bend them around the wheels and so on.
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 05:23 PM UTC

Quoted Text

How did you apply the glue/solvent?

Yes, with T.E.T. and other cements with a brush-in-cap bottle, don't use the brush in the cap! Most applications require much, much, less cement than these brushes drop on the joint. Get a worn out old or cheap new paint brush and use it to apply the cement. I have several, from a #00 to a #1 (originally) but they aren't those sizes now.

Don't use an old brush with bristles pointing everywhere. Trim those wild ones off and just leave the core.

KL
Cantstopbuyingkits
Visit this Community
European Union
KitMaker: 2,099 posts
Armorama: 1,920 posts
Posted: Friday, October 16, 2015 - 08:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What kind of indi links are you trying to glue together? Most good individual link tracks in recent kits will snap together without any need for glue.
rover5700
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
KitMaker: 47 posts
Armorama: 47 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 05:40 AM UTC
Who makes a good set for a Luchs PzKfwII ?
I don't care for the ICM set much.
Kevlar06
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
Armorama: 2,052 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 07:37 AM UTC
Without knowing what the exact problem is, it's hard to say what glue is best-- I use Tamiya Extra Thin too, like several others have said above. But I've used Walthers Pro-Weld which is very hot as well. However, I make a simple track jig out of two long pieces of wood joined at a 45 degree angle as a "tray" to hold the track links. I lay a few individual links together along the back edge with one end of the track slightly overhanging the front edge, then I use a fine brush applying just enough glue to flow though capillary action from the overhanging end to the back edge. The wood ensures the plastic track won't readily stick, but I suppose you could use Plexiglas or metal bent into an angle (not polystyrene). VR, Russ
Homer0331
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
KitMaker: 148 posts
Armorama: 148 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 09:17 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Same here,I have always used Tamiya Extra Thin,small amount to each link as I go along,not slathering the whole run at once.When the whole run is done,I wait about 30 minutes,then carefully flex it around the the sprockets and rollers and allow to dry completely for 24 hours,remove,paint,weather,and reattach.

This.

If you used Tamiya when assembling tracks from say a Pz I or II you really, really need to be careful. Apply a just the smallest amount to the join between the links. I ruined a set of DML Pz I tracks that way.
TankManNick
Visit this Community
California, United States
KitMaker: 551 posts
Armorama: 543 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 01:19 PM UTC

Quoted Text

don't use the brush in the cap!

Good tip! I DO have a tendency to slop a bit too much on, especially with tracks. Seems obvious now you bring it up, but I've never tried using a smaller brush! Thanks.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 10,954 posts
Armorama: 8,571 posts
Posted: Sunday, February 14, 2016 - 01:30 PM UTC
I use Humbrol liquid Polly, this being a thicker glue gives me a longer working time and it does not cause issues if you are over generous. I usually put 10 or so links together and then depending on the link just apply a single wipe over with the supplied brush. If the links have a lot of detail on the interior face then I switch to a thinner glue and apply glue to each joint individually.
rinaldi119
Visit this Community
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 375 posts
Armorama: 282 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I use Tamiya Extra Thin Cement all the time for assembling link or link&length tracks together, it works perfectly.

A couple of tips. Use thin strips of double side tape (any cheap art or hardware store brand works fine and lasts years), lay down a length on your workbench slightly less in width than the track links, and long enough to hold the whole run. (Use the rubber band tracks as a guide).

The double side tape acts as a third hand to assemble the links together so they stay put, then place a tiny amount of glue in the joint, the Tamiya cap brush is perfectly suited for this task...

And here's where I think you went wrong or over did it, most modelers end up using way too much glue for starters, and/or end up with glue on the wheels too. Also, don't press the links into the tape hard, just push down gently enough so they stay in place (it doesn't take much to hold them).

After all the links have been glued, let sit about 10-15 mins, then carefully lift off the run and drape around the road wheels and sprockets. The run will still be flexible, yet stay together so you can place it around the model. Repeat process for other side. (It helps to have the hull built and all wheels in place -- and best to leave the idler and or drive sprockets unglued, if no poly caps are present, such as on a Tamiya kit).

Set it up to dry overnight, including the sag, etc. In the morning, they will be strong enough to remove as a unit, and then paint and weather and be returned to place.

It's not the glue that is the issue. HTH.

Garrand
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 194 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 02:34 AM UTC
I'm not a big fan of individual glue together tracks (either rubber band or workables for me IMHO), but when I do use them (like Dragon's Magic track), I tend to assemble the tracks with the wheels altogether, leaving off the outer road wheels if appropriate, to be added after painting. Once all the glue has cured, I can remove the entire unit for painting and weathering. Using this method I'm not too terrebly careful with the painting, since they'll all get heavily weathered. I know some people can build them so that the entire run can be removed for painting, but I've never managed to do this myself...

Damon.
amoz02t
Visit this Community
Kentucky, United States
KitMaker: 1,383 posts
Armorama: 1,281 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 18, 2016 - 03:57 AM UTC
Testor's liquid cement and a toothpick. Toothpick is the key element to put the stuff where you want it...this is the Bronco M1A2 Abrams track kit
Circuitrider
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 15 posts
Armorama: 8 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 04, 2016 - 03:00 AM UTC
Bump.

Check it:

http://armorama.com//features/1737&page=1
Wolf239
Visit this Community
St. Petersburg, Russia
KitMaker: 136 posts
Armorama: 133 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 02:46 AM UTC
I use Revell Contacta Professional with a needle. The needle provides small & accurate drops of glue. I think this is not extra thin grade glue, just some regular type. I usually glue several (5-10) tracks together into one link. Sometimes I also use a ruler for alignment. Then I let the glue half-dry, and then apply the link onto the wheels, slightly bending it (before the glue has dried out completely) to make realistic sag effect. Repeated in several steps, this provides an accurate complete link. But you need to start with the lower (straight) link part (the one touching the ground under the wheels), then around the idler and drive sprocket up, and then the upper sagging part. In this way, you will be able to fix the gap between the final ends of the link by additional sagging and/or an additional track.
slug955
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 195 posts
Armorama: 175 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 03:19 AM UTC
I use Revel as well. I do not have the patience or vision for the indy links you have separate pins for (the cat does not like bad language). A single drop of glue at each connection. I do a top run and a bottom run (allows for adjustment). When set I install the pins in the track where they show. Why make life harder.
varanusk
Staff MemberManaging Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
Santa Cruz de Tenerife, Spain / España
KitMaker: 1,288 posts
Armorama: 942 posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2016 - 01:50 PM UTC
Another happy user of Revell Contacta. Gives me enough time to make the sag, position the track and correct mistakes.
 _GOTOTOP