_GOTOBOTTOM
Dioramas: Before Building
Ideas, concepts, and researching your next diorama.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Ukraine or Syria?
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 02:39 AM UTC
I'm currently getting started on a diorama depicting Russia and America engaging each other in a battle. At first i thought i will do a Ukrainian themed diorama but then i thought about a Syrian diorama with features put in. I'm not sure which one to pick so i would like to ask if any body has any opinion on which theme i should choose.
ironelf
Visit this Community
New York, United States
KitMaker: 235 posts
Armorama: 174 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 03:22 AM UTC
Hi Hader:

If you're thinking of doing something with heavy armor vehicles then I think you'd want to go with Syria over Ukraine I think it makes more sense politically and also geographically when you consider the American presence in Turkey a rack and other areas around the region. Also, Russia and the US have an acknowledged presents in Syria. That's not the case in Crimea as far as I know.

Cheers!

Chris
Removed by original poster on 10/18/15 - 00:38:01 (GMT).
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 02:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm currently getting started on a diorama depicting Russia and America engaging each other in a battle. At first i thought i will do a Ukrainian themed diorama but then i thought about a Syrian diorama with features put in. I'm not sure which one to pick so i would like to ask if any body has any opinion on which theme i should choose.

The problem with a diorama depicting both combatants in a tank battle, is that the diorama base would be the size of a city block. Today, a typical tank engagement range is 3,000 meters, unless the terrain is very cluttered by hills, buildings, and trees (in NW Europe, for instance, the average engagement range drops to 800 meters). In 1/35th scale, a 3,000 meter engagement works out to 85 meters.

If you depict a US tank passing a burned out AFV, it will still steer well away from the wreck, as the depleted uranium used in US ammo burns after impact, leaving highly poisonous uranium oxide ash all over the surrounding area.
GazzaS
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
Armorama: 2,248 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 03:09 AM UTC
Maybe a situation where one tank is forced to drive close, like a valley or village. I remember back during Desert Storm passing one of our tanks left on the battlefield undamaged except for the fact that it had thrown a track in the sand. Really, you can think of any number of reasons to stick two tanks in close proximity.

Best Wishes,

Gary
SpaceXhydro
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 418 posts
Armorama: 235 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 03:42 AM UTC
Thank you all for your contribution. So far i might go for a Syria themed diorama.
 _GOTOTOP