Hosted by Darren Baker
Chieftain question re muzzle reference system
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
KitMaker: 585 posts
Armorama: 557 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:00 PM UTC
I trained as a loader/operator in chieftains back in the early seventies, before the muzzle reference system was introduced and I wish to model a Takom Mk5 from that period. I realise I have to use the plain muzzle rather than the one with the mirror fitting but is there anything I need to remove from the turret itself or was the 'other' end of the system part of the gunners sight?
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:48 PM UTC
HI Steve,

The other end of the system was a light source on the turret roof just to the right of the gunners sight as you look at it from the front. On the picture of a Mk10 below you can see it. Though if you buy the Takom Mk5 kit it looks like the turret and muzzle are correct on the box art.

RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 09:51 PM UTC
You need a whole new barrel for a start. Tamiya depicted the pre-MRS version, which had a thicker fume extractor.

Plenty of other changes too - you might actually be better to start with the Tamiya kit. Somewhere on the web is a long tweaks list that describes the work to improve the Mk 3 that Tamiya depicted as well as updating it to later types.
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:09 PM UTC
Thanks for the info guys.
barkingdigger
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,981 posts
Armorama: 3,403 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
Steve,

That list Bob referred to is here, written by some guy named Robert Lockie... (Sorry Bob! I'll pay you back with a cuppa at the next OnTrack.)

I don't know what if any corrections you would need on the Takom kit, so I'd hold off until you get one "in the plastic". But if it does need an early barrel, I'd be tempted to graft a Tamiya barrel onto the Takom turret rather than try to bring the rest of the Tamiya kit up to snuff...
iowabrit
Visit this Community
Iowa, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 17, 2015 - 11:09 PM UTC
Yes, the more I am reading (and Roberts 'tweak list' is awesome) the more convinced I am that what we actually had in Hohne in 1972/3 were Mk3's. The fume extractor was definately the early, larger, version because I remember the barrel clamps were of the early type. Unfortunately I don't have any photos from that time nor do I have a list of VRM numbers so I guess I shall have to pick a later subject. The BATUS vehicles look tempting and Dick Taylors books have some useful pictures.
I just received my Takom Mk5 and it looks like a really nice kit..
maximus8425
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 331 posts
Armorama: 320 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 01:12 AM UTC
I'll definitely be getting one, possibly two as I served on Mk9's 10's & 11's. Then had the job of backloading the regiments wagons for disposal. A few years later I fired at some of my old units wagons at Lulworth.
Wolf251
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 6 posts
Armorama: 6 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 04:52 AM UTC

Mk.1 and 2 fume extractor

Mk.3

Mk. with MRS (can't tell for sure but it was 2 type IIRC)
 _GOTOTOP