_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Axis - WWII
Armor and ground forces of the Axis forces during World War II.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Fallschirmjäger Kettenkrad trailer Crete
Molentik
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 09:40 AM UTC
This might be a bit of an obscure question, but for a vignette I'm working on I'm looking for more information about the double-axle trailer used by the Fallschirmjäger Artillerie-Abteilung's Kettenkrads on Crete in 1941.

I've only seen this trailer used by the FJ on Crete, no other pictures I've found so far (and I have loads) show this typ of trailer being used, either by Gebirgsjäger or other branches in any other theatre.

I would like to know if somebody has more info; close-up pictures, drawings or even an official designation of this kind of trailer so I can trawl the internet for further information.

I'm talking about the double-axle trailer on the picture below, so NOT the specially made single axle trailer that was made for the Kettenkrad. I have a hunch they we're field-made shortly before 'Operation Merkur' started, much like the assault ladders that were used on the attack on Eben-Emael were (made from DFS-230 tubing).

ANY help is much appreciated! Thanks!
YellowHammer
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 554 posts
Armorama: 172 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 12:00 PM UTC
Robbert,
I looked through my copy of "German Military Trailers and Towed Equipment, 1935 - 1945," by Horst Beiersdorf. I did not find the trailer discussed. However, in the book it states that the Germans used a lot of different types of trailers without ever assigning them a designation.

I found a discussion of the history of Fallschirm-Artillerie-Abteilung 7 on the Axis History Forum webpage.
This is the link address:
http://forum.axishistory.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=184345&sid=6753c7edba2d68208f1467ea185deec8

In the discussion a photo is shown where the unit received the trailers at the same time as the kettenrads to tow their artillery:

"In the summer of 1940 it was expanded to a Fallschirm-Artillerie-Abteilung 7 (parachute artillery group) within the 7th air Division. Its weapons were upgraded getting the Gebirgsgeschütz 36 (36th Mountain Gun). In March 1941 the 2. Batterie was upgraded with the new light gun 40 / 2 (LG2) of 105 mm. The recoilless gun can be broken down into 4 packs and could be dropped by parachute from the Ju52. It was towing with a BMW R75-Beiwagenkrad which was dropped in a quintuplet-parachute. The howitzers used in the 1. and the 3. Batteries could not be dropped by parachute but could be loaded only in a Ju-52. The newly introduced Kettenrad HK 101-SdKfz.2 serves as a traction device."

Two other photos were posted showing the trailer on Crete:

These photos posted for discussion only.

Don't know how much help these photos will be. I would make an educated guess that the trailers were discontinued after the decision was made to not use the FJ in an airborne role again with the FJ being reorganized after the Crete invasion. Good luck with your research.
John
easyco69
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 2,275 posts
Armorama: 2,233 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 03:27 PM UTC
those are cute lil wagons. I read crete was a blood bath & the Fallschirmjager took massive casualties. Wave after wave slaughtered. They won in the end through the process of attrition.
Molentik
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 18, 2015 - 07:18 PM UTC
Thanks you John for your reply. I also think that the trailers were discontinued after the reorganisation after Crete, as I have found no photographic evidence of them being used in Russia with the distinctive Kettenkrads (with the sawn of hand- railings in the back).

My educated guess it that they were made in a field workshop with the materials at hand because some photos show the carts made with round tubing where others have been made with square/profiled tubing. The wheels used look a lot like the wheels used on the drop cannisters, but I'm not sure because they look bigger. What are your thoughts on this?

Thanks for posting the pictures, but I already have them in my collection. In fact the middle picture was the inspiration to begin this vignette, in particular the helmetless guy in the middle.

If I find more information I will post it here for future researchers interested in the subject.

Thanks!
Molentik
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2015 - 07:52 PM UTC
After a night of deep-trawling the internet using my Google Fu skills I've come to the conclusion that the trailer are probably slightly modified luggage carts from a train station!

That explains why there is no official name for these carts. I assume they confiscated them on their way through Bulgaria and Greece?

The cart on this picture isn't the same, but it looks very similar to the ones used in Crete in 1941.

Molentik
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 04:48 AM UTC
This is the clearest picture of the trailer that I could find.

I hope it will be of use for somebody in the future!

_GOTOTOP