_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
compatable figures
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
KitMaker: 332 posts
Armorama: 328 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 04:52 AM UTC
After reading a number of things on here, I was wondering if there is a common agreement on what figures match with other manufacturers. My main interest is Vietnam era, but it seems all eras have a disagreement. My thing is what figures will go with others size and otherwise. Sorry, am talking about 1/35. Thanks, Wayne
Molentik
Visit this Community
Noord-Brabant, Netherlands
KitMaker: 112 posts
Armorama: 97 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 04:57 AM UTC
I have found that Verlinden figures often are closer to 1/32 than 1/35. The difference between them and Dragon or Masterbox figures for instance is quite big and they look off next to each other.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 4,691 posts
Armorama: 3,509 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 05:49 AM UTC
The small size diffrence can be okay,just as real people are of diffrent proportions from each other
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 06:49 PM UTC
I agree. People are not all the same size! Just look at a crowd downtown or in the mall,etc. If you have several or a bunch of figs in a scene having one Verlinden guy in there might work for some interest but.... there is always a but....make sure that the equipment is from the same manufacturer,ie,canteens,ammo pouches,weapons,etc as that remains a constant whereas peoples' height does not. Catch my drift?
J
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 07:16 PM UTC
For extreme differences put a Tamiya guy next to a Verlinden!
Barbarossa
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 216 posts
Armorama: 215 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 08:19 PM UTC
'Stalingrad' figures (not much good for Vietnam era ) are much smaller & more slender than the Miniarts/Masterbox figures I've noticed....., the children (refugees) in particular look out of scale against other manufacturers.....

Simon.
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 11:04 PM UTC
Thanks for all the replies. I dug out some unbuilts from my stash and comparing them, it appears that Verlinden and Hobby Fan are pretty close while Masterbox, Dragon and Tamiya are a bit larger. Of course this is looking at them unassembled.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 12:28 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for all the replies. I dug out some unbuilts from my stash and comparing them, it appears that Verlinden and Hobby Fan are pretty close while Masterbox, Dragon and Tamiya are a bit larger. Of course this is looking at them unassembled.

Once again,the sizes won't matter as much when you pick one companies' type of equipment and stick with it. When you have 4 different sizes of rifles is when it doesn't look right.
J
J
Bravo1102
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
Armorama: 2,497 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 01:38 AM UTC
My thing is that is too many dioramas the modeler goes out to make all the figures compatible and you have crowd scenes where everyone is the same size and there is little or no variation in the height and proportions of the figures. Everybody has the same size head, same size hands, same size feet and are within an indiscernible range of height. Something that never happens in the real world. Every group photo has the tall guy, the chubby guy the tiny guy and the guy whose helmet is ridiculously small.

Personally I would welcome refugee figures that are noticeably smaller and thinner than others. These are refugees. The small and thin ones have gone longer without a decent meal.
GeraldOwens
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 3,736 posts
Armorama: 3,697 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

After reading a number of things on here, I was wondering if there is a common agreement on what figures match with other manufacturers. My main interest is Vietnam era, but it seems all eras have a disagreement. My thing is what figures will go with others size and otherwise. Sorry, am talking about 1/35. Thanks, Wayne

It's easy enough to gauge scale accuracy of figures based on their stature. In 1/35th scale, a 5'10" man stands exactly two inches tall.
Generally, heads don't vary as much in size between people as torsos and limbs, so a 1/32nd scale figure doesn't just look tall compared to 1/35th scale figures, he looks out of scale, unless you swap out the head (and possibly the hands)
namengr
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 04:50 AM UTC
Once again I appreciate your help and tolerance. I'm an old retired heavy equipment operator and Army engineer and I've built a few things and would like to build some projects that show what I did and where I was. Thanks for whatever help .Wayne
 _GOTOTOP