_GOTOBOTTOM
Figures
Military figures of all shapes and sizes.
First 1/35 scale figures
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 304 posts
Armorama: 293 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:09 AM UTC
Here are two figures I painted for a vinaigrette I am working on. One is a Master Box figure and the other is a dragon bother were a pleasure to work with. I constructed a sling from tin foil for the first time on the Master Box figure. I primed both with Vallejo Black primer, and then used their model color range to paint them. They have a pretty strong contrast but I think I can do better with time working on smoothing out the transitions. So any suggestions for the next ones?

Master Box “operation Milk Man”

Dragon

henkp
Visit this Community
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,080 posts
Armorama: 1,064 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:32 AM UTC
looks great
Hisham
Visit this Community
Al Qahirah, Egypt / لعربية
KitMaker: 6,856 posts
Armorama: 6,363 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 02:52 AM UTC
The figures look really nice.. you did a good job on the shading and outlining.... But you painted these for a "vinaigrette" you say?

Hisham
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 07:50 PM UTC
Sounds a little too acidic for me!
Karl187
Visit this Community
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,094 posts
Armorama: 2,942 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 03:26 PM UTC
I think you've done a great job with these figures Rob. You've picked out all the details nicely and your transitions are spot-on. Now you say you might want to smooth them out a bit and blend them a bit more. I would just say don't go overboard with that as you could possibly undo some of the vibrancy of the transitions.

The only other thing I would point out is the wood on the Kar98K- it looks mono-tone when it should have more of a wood-grain effect and the cap on the water bottle of the guy with the dark field jacket is a little bright compared to the one on the other guy. Those very minor niggles aside, you should be very happy with these figures!
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 07:44 PM UTC
Thanks you all for looking.
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 07:45 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I think you've done a great job with these figures Rob. You've picked out all the details nicely and your transitions are spot-on. Now you say you might want to smooth them out a bit and blend them a bit more. I would just say don't go overboard with that as you could possibly undo some of the vibrancy of the transitions.

The only other thing I would point out is the wood on the Kar98K- it looks mono-tone when it should have more of a wood-grain effect and the cap on the water bottle of the guy with the dark field jacket is a little bright compared to the one on the other guy. Those very minor niggles aside, you should be very happy with these figures!

Thanks Karl,

I need to look up some ways to do wood grain that small.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 09:09 PM UTC
If this is a first time effort it is very very nice! Kepp going! The painting technique and skill are really good. I would research the colors more maybe?
J
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 02:52 PM UTC
Thanks Jerry, I think the colors on the first one are pretty good but the second one looks off, It was one of the combinations that were shown on the Vallejo paint set.
Wellsbourne
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 93 posts
Armorama: 91 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 04:43 PM UTC
What type of salad will they be put into.
Or do you mean a Vignette ???????
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:13 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What type of salad will they be put into.
Or do you mean a Vignette ???????

They might be able to hide in the salad , But i did mean a Vignette.
chavey65
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 39 posts
Armorama: 36 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:34 PM UTC
very nice just don't over do it,they look great,and everything sit's well,
regards Allan
swat35
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 40 posts
Armorama: 39 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:41 PM UTC
Robert the figures look fantastic, nice work. As to the wood grain effect, one easy way is to paint a med tan first then dry brush the darker color brown you prefer. If you do it light enough it'll create some grain. I like using Vallejo acrylics for this effect although MM works great too but takes longer to dry of course.

Great job again,Terry
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 05:54 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Robert the figures look fantastic, nice work. As to the wood grain effect, one easy way is to paint a med tan first then dry brush the darker color brown you prefer. If you do it light enough it'll create some grain. I like using Vallejo acrylics for this effect although MM works great too but takes longer to dry of course.

Great job again,Terry

Thanks Terry I will give that a try, Vallejo is my preferred paint, just love the way model color brushes.
RLlockie
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 1,112 posts
Armorama: 938 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:36 PM UTC
I wouldn't worry too much about the wood grain actually - it's the stock of a weapon, not a Louis XIV sideboard. I don't see the grain very prominently on any of my WW2 rifles from 35 feet away. While the working parts would be maintained well, the wood is less critical to the weapon's function and might get dirty without impairing functionality.
Biggles2
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 7,600 posts
Armorama: 6,110 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 09:50 PM UTC
It's not so much the wood grain, but the darker streaks that sometimes occur in wood, that follows the grain pattern. Some woods have darker streak patterns than others, ie; Pine is usually barely noticeable, while perhaps harder woods are more noticeable. One very good method is painting the wood stock a light color - buff; flesh, light tan; then streaking a dark brown oil paint on top. The oil paint takes a long time to dry so you have a long time to manipulate the paint with dry brush or sponge bits. Model aircraft builders use this technique for painting wooden propeller blades. Takes very little practice and the effects can be very realistic.
Modelrob
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:31 PM UTC
Thanks Biggles2, I might have to give that a try, I haven't really started working with oils yet.
jrutman
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 7,941 posts
Armorama: 7,934 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 06:40 PM UTC
I would advise to never use the suggestions for color that came from the paint manufacturer. There are plenty of full color pics on line of real German uniforms and gear for free. Your uniform colors look good but some of the gear is a bit off like the bright green canteen cup,etc.
But your painting techniques are really coming along nicely and after all,the whole point is to have fun!
J
 _GOTOTOP