_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: Modern - USA
Modern Armor, AFVs, and Support vehicles.
Hosted by Darren Baker
M60 experts please?
Javi
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 09:33 PM UTC
Hi, I'm working in this M60 and thinking about the proper heigh of the running gear

I read that the Tamiya kit running gear is a bit too high so the measure is exactly 3,9 mm.
A second option would be a 3,65 mm which is only 2,5 mm lower but seems to me that may be too much

There is a third pic with the look of the thing with the 3,65 mm heigh.

I would consider something intermediate, possibly 3,75. What do you think about it? Thanks for any advice& opinion

Regards

Javier Soler

junglejim
Visit this Community
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,728 posts
Armorama: 1,629 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 09:44 PM UTC
Yes, I think something in between. Here's a pic I took of the one that was at the Quantico Museum back in the day to compare. Check the center of the road wheels vs the center of the suspension arms where the torsion bar would be:

HTH,
Jim
mpeplinski
Visit this Community
Michigan, United States
KitMaker: 487 posts
Armorama: 182 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 10:46 PM UTC
This may be of some assistance

http://www.guntruck.com/M60MBTPage1.html

The academy kit is basically a copy of the Tamiya kit

Mike
KurtLaughlin
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,402 posts
Armorama: 2,377 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:04 AM UTC
Dimensioned diagrams for the M60A3 (passive) and M60A3 TTS are available online at the ASSIST database. The centerline of the gun tube when horizontal and with tracks mounted should be 82-9/16 inches above the ground or 59.9 mm in 1/35. From the ground to the top of the hull under the turret should be around 69-1/16 or 50.1 mm in 1/35. (The turret opening on the hull is not the "turret datum line" in the diagram, only close.

Note that the dimensions are for a loaded tank while most survivors on display are gutted.

FYI Javi, you are writing mm when you mean cm.

KL
Javi
Visit this Community
Madrid, Spain / Espaņa
KitMaker: 12 posts
Armorama: 11 posts
Posted: Friday, October 23, 2015 - 12:24 PM UTC
Jim; Mike, Kurt

Thank you for your valuable information! I guess that the first pic at the museum may be one of the empty vehicles that sit a bit too high.

I definitely will go for a mid term. 3.8 cmm ( yes, not mm!!!) will capture the look

Regards

Javier Soler
 _GOTOTOP