_GOTOBOTTOM
Armor/AFV: IDF [Israeli Defense Forces]
Armor and AFVs of the IDF army from 1947-today.
Hosted by Darren Baker
Academy Merkava 2 problem
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 91 posts
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 03:48 AM UTC
Question for those who have built the Academy Merkava mk2. Without going to aftermarket parts how in the heck do I keep the drive sprockets straight with the kit tracks? As soon as the tracks are on the drive sprockets bend back and the tracks bow.

Any tips?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 3,389 posts
Armorama: 2,054 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 04:45 AM UTC
Not a specific answer to your kit, but in general I have seen people run a steel rod through the hull, joining the two drive sprockets.
bots1141
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 318 posts
Armorama: 313 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 06:25 AM UTC
You could probably get away with cutting the tracks and hiding the open space on top of the return rollers behind the side armor. I have a merk 2d on the shelf so this is good to know.
woltersk
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
KitMaker: 1,026 posts
Armorama: 654 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 07:09 AM UTC
@Jeff--both Russ' and Rich's ideas will work. I prefer the steel rod method. Simply take one of the sprockets to your local hardware store and pick out a steel rod with a comparable diameter.

It can also work for the other end, be it the idler wheels or swing arms:

An added benefit of this method (for fumble-fingered builders like me) is the added strength it provides. And the fact that at contests the judges are allowed to pick up kits and peak in all the hidden areas. A break in the track run could negate an award.

Either way you go, good luck, and enjoy the build!

Keith
JUSTK
Visit this Community
Trinidad And Tobago
Armorama: 85 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 08:39 AM UTC
Hi Jeff,
I think brass tubing/rod (diameter to match sprocket) is the way to go.
Konigwolf
Visit this Community
Tasmania, Australia
KitMaker: 368 posts
Armorama: 321 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 24, 2015 - 11:30 AM UTC
Assuming your problem is rubber band tracks being to short the other option is to stretch them slowly until they are the right length.

One way is to put in very hot water (not boiling) and apply tension, repeat until length needed.
JeffCsr
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
Armorama: 78 posts
Posted: Sunday, October 25, 2015 - 04:03 AM UTC
Thanks for all the tips,
I noticed after assembling, then problem shooting the suspension and the whole lower is bowed in at top, so I used evergreen strips to flex out the lower hull and I'll just shim then glue the drive sprockets straight.

I want to pose this one with the front fenders and skirts missing so the Sprockets are going to be very noticeable if they aren't straight
 _GOTOTOP